Medical disqualifications and College

I am 19 years old and have Crohn’s Disease. I was born with it and do have to take medicine every 2 weeks for it. I can be lenient with it, meaning I can take it a few days after I am supposed to take it. It doesn’t affect me and hasn’t for a very long time. I was wondering if this disqualifies me for being a pilot. Also I am currently in college for a degree in Biology, should I finish out my degree before going to ATP or should I join ATP as soon as possible. I have zero flight experience.

David,

I know how you feel, Crohns is very prevalent in my family. A quick search on google indicated that as long as you can prove to the FAA that you have medication and you are able to control it, as well as “require full medical documentation before a certification decision can be made”, then hopefully you’ll be able to get your First Class Medical. But I know the admins on this forum will most likely have more information they can give you.

As for college, I believe that is fully up to you, from what I’ve read on this site (and its been a lot of reading), that a college degree can really help you in the future when applying for the major airlines. It is true that many airlines are going away with a college degree requirement but some airlines like Delta still in fact require one.

For me I attended Syracuse University for a year, personally college just was not my thing, if that makes any sense, and now I’ll most likely have to attend online classes after I am done at ATP while working at a regional.

But like I sad it completely up to if you decide to finish or not, depending on how close you are you might want to finish it out before enrolling with ATP.

The admins on here are great and I’m sure they have a lot more information that I do, but thought I’d go ahead and share my thoughts.

Yehuda

I have 2 to 3 more years left in my degree plan. I’ll graduate at either 22 or 23 years old

David,

Welcome to the forum. We do our best to help guide you where we can. One thing we don’t like to comment on since we aren’t doctors is issues that could affect your ability to secure a medical.

The best thing to do is find the local AME (aviation medical examiner) near you and give them a call. You may be able to just discuss it prior to making an appointment to get the medical. That way you have some information you need to help make decisions.

Hannah

1 Like

David,

I’m with Hannah, before you do anything further I’d find a local AME and make certain you won’t have any issues getting your First Class Medical.

Actually before that Id take an intro or Discovery flight. While many people are certain they want to fly, until you’ve been up and at the controls of a small training aircraft you really won’t know for certain.

After those 2 boxes are checked Id complete my degree and then enroll in ATP. The Majors want a degree and its always a good idea to have a Plan B in place in case aviation doesn’t work out by choice or circumstance.

Adam

1 Like

David,

You will definitely need to set up an appointment with a FAA Medical examiner on this one. It might be a big issue, it could be a very small one, we simply are not qualified to giver out medical advice.

I too would recommend finishing your degree before going to flight school. While this might not be the absolute fastest path to the airlines, I feel that the age and maturity that comes with a degree will aid both in flight training and beginningyuor career as an airline pilot.

Chris

Thank you Hannah, Adam, and Chris. I have looked into a discovery flight in my area and plan on taking one in the near future. I have also looked up the FAA rules for Crohn’s and I would have to give the AME my records of Crohn’s. I will also probably have to have tests done to make sure that everything is in order and that I am still healthy. They need proof to see that I have it in control basically. It also varies on each case and what medication you take to keep it in control. After I take my discovery flight I plan on contacting an AME to see what exactly I need to do to get the ball rolling on getting my First Class Medical. Thank you for the guidance!

2 Likes

David,

Sounds like a great plan. Let us know if we can help with anything else. That’s what we’re here for.

Hannah