Medical License Revoked

Hey there! I’ve been thinking on something and I can’t get it out of my head. Let’s say you’ve been a pilot for more than 15 years and all of a sudden you fail your medical exam! What would happen after? Would they revoke your pilots license? Would you get fired? And would you never fly for an airline again? Thank you :slight_smile:

Thomas,

First of all, there are three actions the FAA could take on a pilot’s medical. In order of severity they are: denial, suspension and revocation. In addition, a pilot may voluntarily surrender their own medical or let it expire.

I think you mean, “What would happen if a pilot’s medical application was denied if they failed their medical exam?”

It would depend on the reason(s) of the failure, but in most cases if the pilot couldn’t pass the exam before their medical expired the pilot would be removed from flight status without pay (unless the pilot applied for a medical leave of absence), pending verification of medical status. A pilot’s flight status could be reinstated if the pilot provides verification of medical status, which means the pilot would have to reapply for and pass the medical exam. If a pilot fails the exam due to substance dependence or substance abuse or any of the FAA listed disqualifying conditions, then things get complicated.

Tory

Thomas,

Most airlines have long term disability insurance available to their pilots. At my airline, there would be a 90 day waiting period after the pilot failed the medical (during this time they could use their sick time). After 90 days, the pilots would begin drawing on their disability insurance, which is $8,000 per month, tax free. Now of course the program is far more complex than that, but that is the general gist of the program. Every airline has different policies, but they are mostly similar.

Once the pilot regained their medical, they would return to work and resume normal pay.

Chris

Thomas,

Just to chime in a pilot’s license is good for life. To maintain flight status you must have a current medical and be “current” as far as landings and training but if any or all are lost your license still wouldn’t be “revoked” you simply wouldn’t be able to exercise the privileges.

The only time your license would be revoked is you did something really stupid or reckless, drug or alcohol issues or multiple training failures.

Adam

Ah ok thank you guys for the help appreciate it. :blush:

Thomas,

Any time. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris