Multi Add On after PPL or PPL Multi?

Question 1:

What are the pros and cons to this lineup?

My thought process is; getting the multi add-on early in will allow me to start building multi-engine time early which may decrease costs later on while doing the commercial??

I am interested in getting my:

•PPL Single Engine,
•Multi Add-On,
•Instrument,
•Commercial Multi
•Single Engine Add-On (required?)

Question 2:
:face_with_monocle: I know it’s expensive BUT is there any advantage to doing the PPL on a Multi-engine aircraft?
*Does that eliminate the Multi Add-On?
*Single engine Add-On required after Commercial?

PPL MULTI-ENGINE 
 INSTRUMENT
 COMMERCIAL MULTI
 SINGLE ENGINE ADD-ON ??

Thank you in advance…

Trish,

I see no advantage to get your PPL in a twin. In fact I see it as a huge disadvantage.

Your PPL training is your introduction to flying. You’ve got so much going on and to be aware of, the last thing you need is another set of engine gauges and controls. Not to mention more people have REALLY bad days in twins that loose one engine than in singles that loose the only engine.

Now if you want to get your ME AFTER you earn your PPL and do the rest of your training in a twin that will help you gain confidence and skill in a complex aircraft which can make you a better pilot (ala ATPs 100ME course) but I fail to see how you think that’ll save you on your Commercial training?

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for the information and thanks for breaking it down further. Okay I understand. I will do my PPL SE.

Regarding the save during commercial I thought it would be beneficial financially since I would have accumulated some ME time. But I guess it all balances out between using an ME aircraft for the rest of training and also cost of the ME add-on. Got it.

I think I’ll definitely get the ME Add-on after PPL to gain that extra confidence and skills in a complex aircraft to become a better pilot.

One more question:

Just to confirm: Single Engine Add-on is required afterwards because I’d have done only commercial ME and it’s required to have both.
(PPL SE, M-E Add-on, IR M-E, Commercial M-E…)

Thanks for your response.

Trish,

That entirely depends on your goals and the route you plan to get there.

If you eventually aspire to fly for the airlines then you’ll need to build the required 1500hrs. The most common route is flight instructing and the vast majority of flight instruction is done in single engine aircraft. With that in mind, yes you’d need to get your CPL SE add-on. If however you somehow lined to some other ME gig to build your time, you’d actually never need your SE CPL. Make sense?

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Ooh!!! I understand now! So I don’t really need the CML SE unless I’m going to flight instruct on a SE. :relieved:

IBC after the commercial can build hours for my atp.

Even if I’m not instructing, would it ever be beneficial to get the CFI just to have & hold for future purposes, ever?

Thank you so much for all this valuable information!

Trish,

I’ve worked in the Training Dept for both of the airlines I’ve worked for and yes, having my CFI looked good on my resume and I believe it helped get my hired.

Adam

Adam,

Okay, great to know! :smile: Information well received. Makes sense, Ill have to be in a teaching position to share info or correct my fo/ca if need arises.

Thank you for your time and consideration in answering my questions. It will definitely help me plot my route.

I’m preparing for my part 61 written and the lot.

Godspeed.