IFR Advice

Hey everyone! It’s been a little while so here’s the update: I got my PPL! Big relief and a serious confidence booster! I’m also studying hard for the IFR written (by far the most tedious thing I’ve ever come across haha)!

Well, the real purpose behind this post is to ask for any advice you guys can give me for the flying portion of the IFR training. I did a few things like ILS and VOR approaches and it seems pretty straight forward compared to the written. Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,
Yuran

Yuran,

Congrats on the PPL. Nice job. I’ve commented on this before and when I was doing my Instructor Standardization one of the “founders” saw me in the sim and gave me single best advice I ever received pertaining to Instrument flying (and really flying in general). He took a piece of paper and punched a standard hole punch size hole in it and put it in the center of the HSI. He said this is your world (that’s what an AutoPilot does). Forget half scale deflection. Aim small miss small and if you NEVER allow any large deflections you won’t have to make any large corrections. While this is easier said than done I’ve always tried and kept this in my head and it has served me well over the years.

Adam

Yuran,

Congratulations on the PPL, that is fantastic!

Bet advice is to study, study and study. When you think you can’t possibly study anymore, keep studying. IFR work is a lot more than ILS and VOR approaches, it is going to get a lot more complex here very soon.

Chris

Adam,

Thank you! And that advice is actually really useful. Just never thought about it that way, but that makes a lot of sense.

Chris,

I bet! A couple of hours a day is the plan for right now! Thanks guys! I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

Yuran