Music in the cockpit?

Are commercial pilots allowed to listen to music in the cockpit? Or do any small activities while in the cockpit? Maybe a crossword or word search?

Well to answer your question about the music while flying, I recommend that you read this great story by Adam: Airline Policy on Bluetooth Enabled Headsets??

I’m not too sure if crosswords are allowed. Perhaps on breaks? But a mentor will probably jump in anyway.

Wow,

You were right. I understand! I need to know the ending to the story! Did he lose everything?

Raven,

I’ll never tell the end of the story because it really doesn’t matter. When we talk about safety in modern aviation we don’t look at the outcome, we look at the potential to do harm. There are rules, regulations and contracts. Every airline I know of prohibits the use of personal entertainment devices (music, video players, etc) and it’s really a very simple thing. I’m not going to lie to you or pretend it doesn’t happen. There are people, including pilots, who don’t think rules apply or can make up their own. What if the company did the same thing? What if the airline decided they weren’t going to pay you for the month? Pilots would go nuts! But how is that different? The manual states you will operate the airplane the way the airline wants you to. Why is it ok for a pilot to violate the contract but the company not? I’m a pilot rep for the union and I spend my days defending the pilots rights but it works both ways.

I appreciate all you asked was a simple question about listening to music but the subject goes way beyond that. When you eventually go for your first Regional pilot job they may in fact ask you that very question. “If you fly with pilots who do this or that will you? Would you? etc, etc” and without question I guarantee your answer will be “NO, I would never!”, and I’m certain you’ll mean it. But 6mos, a year later after flying with the “cool kids” you’ll see people taking shortcuts and making up their own procedures. It’s up to you to decide what kind of pilot you want to be and how much respect you have for your profession.

Adam

2 Likes