New ATP Student at FXE

Hello everyone. My name is Diego and I’m planning to start training in October 21st at the Fort Lauderdale location. I personally don’t know anyone who attended ATP but I would like to get an advice from someone who already went through training . When I did my intro flight my flight instructor mentioned I should start studying for the written exams before I start training, well he said I didn’t have to do it but it is a good idea to get ahead of the game . He also mentioned that I should not advance too much either . My questions are: how far should I advance, and how long do you think it will take me to finish where I need to be?. Considering Im working a full time job 9-5 mon-Friday. I want to make sure this is enough time to finish whatever I have to finish. I plan to study every day after work and I’m planning to quit my job the Friday before my start day.

Thank you in advance

Diego,

I’m not sure what the CFI meant by not advancing too far. You’d have to ask them.

As far as the written tests, those are something you should definitely do. Since you’re starting in October you’ll probably have enough time to only take one of the tests (PAR). This page has everything you need to know on how to do that.
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Tory

You have required modules that need to be completed before you begin training. Get those knocked out ASAP. Then start studying for your written exams. Private-Airplane (PAR) should be your first one. Get as many knocked out as possible before your start date. I had them all completed before I began and it helped out greatly with my ability to move quickly through the program.

Diego,

You have plenty of time to bang out your writtens. I highly recommend you do so as it will lighten your work load significantly.

Adam

Thanks everyone for the quick response, all this information helps a lot. I just made my $995 deposit. My start date will be November 18th, I decided to postponed my start day a month later so I don’t lose my quarterly bonus. Looking forward to get home, login, and start working on those modules. Thanks again everyone!

Even more time to get all those written tests done if you start now.

Yes, I’m going to try to get all the written done. Do you guys have recommendations on what is the best way to start studying? I’m starting from Zero hours.

See the link Tory posted above when he answered your initial question.

Adam

Thank you Adam!

I finished all the modules for the private written test and also passed all the practical test over 90%,so I’m very confident to take the test. I just have few questions, When you go to do the real test, do they give you real paper charts to calculate some of the problems. I just find it really hard to calculate some problems by using a platter on the screen of the computer, particularly the ones for cross country. If not, are the numbers going to be the same, because I memorized all the questions. Also, do they allow you to use a calculator?

Diego,

You can use a calculator, but just a regular one or an approved flight computer one (no advanced or graphing calculators). They should issue you a booklet that has the charts printed in them.

In theory the numbers should be the same, but things do sometimes change.

Chris

The one electronic calculator I know works for sure that’s not just a basic calculator is a Cx-3 flight computer but as long as you know how to use the E6-B, this probably is going to help you much because the E6-B is going to be faster most the time.

Jhosua, Chris. Thank you guys for the info.

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

I have the ASA CX-3 flight computer myself, and found it to be extremely helpful during both the Writtens and private training.

As the other posters have said, they give you a printed booklet with all the needed charts, diagrams, etc, that you need to answer the questions.

In addition, they give you scrap paper, as well as clear laminated sheets and dry erase markers. You are not allowed to write in the booklet itself (they reuse them), but you can lay the plastic sheets over the pages of the booklet, and then mark whatever you need directly on that with the markers.

As the oth

It really nice when I took my IRA because I still didn’t fully understand holds :joy:

1 Like

Thank you mike!

1 Like

Hello guys. Today I made an appointment to take the PAR test next week. In the meantime… can I start studying for the instrument test or do I have to wait until I get a grade from the PAR test. If the answer is yes, then how do I get access to Sheppard?, I read good things about it in this forum.

Straight from ATP’s website:

Preparing for Knowledge Tests

Students beginning from zero time should first study for the Private Pilot - Airplane test using the King Schools Private Pilot Ground School and Test Prepcourseware, available through Student Extranet For each knowledge test after the Private Pilot, ATP enrolls students in Sheppard Air’s test prep software at no additional cost. Students beginning with Credit for Private Pilot are automatically enrolled in the Instrument course when they place their deposit. Once you have completed an FAA knowledge test, contact Sheppard Air at 940-642-4945 to receive access to your next Sheppard Air prep course.

Tory

Thank you Tory!!

1 Like