On Job Training

Curtis here, 38, Nebraska,

I’ve heard that pilots are in high demand right now. And some airline companies are actually offering a “sign on” with them; paying the student while they attend their training programs. I believe the sacrifice is having to commit to their company as a pilot for some sort of time span. Is any of this true or been heard to be true?

I’m a father of three and can not afford to invest time and tuition for 2 yrs to become a pilot.

Thanks,

Curtis,

I am not aware of any airlines that are paying for flight training for potential new pilots or paying them while they are in initial pilot training.

There are several programs that offer help with repaying tuition loan costs, ATP’s Tuition Reimbursement is one of them, but this does require the student to lay the money out initially.

Flight training with ATP is nine months, not two years. The rest of the two years is working as a paid instructor, building your flight hours.

Chris

Curtis,

Not quite. There is a pilot shortage and indeed a very high demand that’s correct. However what some airlines are offering is Tuition Reimbursement to pay you back for the training you’ve already done as well as sign on bonuses.

There is no “on the job airline training” nor are there any student pilots flying for any airlines. In fact in order to fly for any airline in the US in addition to all the required training (which can be done in as little as 9 mos with ATP) pilots require a minimum of 1500 hours of flight time (usually earned by instructing).

Adam