One misdemeanor marijuana charge from 13 years ago, give it to me straight

My partner is 33 years old and received one misdemeanor drug charge for being in possession of marijuana 13 years ago. He has not even gotten a parking ticket since then. He hasn’t smoked weed or done any drugs since his probation but he will occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner… my point being, he’s as straight laced as they come. Will his record likely keep him from acquiring his medical /or getting hired by any airline if he does get through the medical and schooling? I don’t want him to waste his time and money if people in the industry think it’s pointless. I’m looking for good news but give it to me straight.
Thank you in advance for your time.

Dom,

If all the facts you state are true and that’s all there is they’ll be fine.

Adam

Thank you Adam,

I appreciate you for your quick response!

In your experience have you known pilots be hired to major airlines with this sort of charge on their record? I realize the majors are the pinnacle in this industry, it would reassuring to have some hope he could work his way there instead of knowing there is no chance at all.

Dom.

Dom,

Honestly most pilots don’t discuss their criminal records if they have one so it’s hard to know who’s done what. That said I’ve seen things like this on applicants records and again, if it’s a single, nonviolent offense and is been some time since it occurred, it’s not an issue.

Adam

1 Like

Dom,

I do not see this being an issue either. I would of course recommend that he apply for a First Class medical right away to make sure there are no issues with the FAA. His interview will likely be a bit tougher than most, he will need to explain the charge and how he has changed his life. But if he is able to do that in a manner that makes sense, he should be fine.

Chris

1 Like

I was arrested for marijuana possession in 2014 (a separate charge for paraphernalia possession but the same arrest) both charges were dismissed in court and expunged from my record. Other than that, a few speeding tickets but nothing in the past 5 or so years. Currently no points on my driver’s license. Thinking about enrolling to become an airline pilot but I want to know if I stand a chance of getting hired by either the regionals or the majors down the line. I have a decent career history of progressive promotions in the Hospitality industry, from line cook to Assistant General Manager of a timeshare resort - over 10 years of employment history. The last year and a half I started my own company and have been running it since. Nothing else on my record. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated and would like to extend my thanks, in advance, for your time and feedback.

Kind Regards,
Brandon

Brandon,

If that is in fact all you have and you’re clean otherwise, provided you do well in training you should have no issue getting on with a Regional.

You don’t mention a degree, but if you want to fly for a Major (particularly with your past) you will most likely need one.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for your response. I have a Bachelor’s Degree from UCF so all good there. From my understanding and research on this forum, it seems like I will have to go through the HIMS process - can you please touch on that? Understanding, of course, that you are not an AME and not to be taken as medical advice.

Brandon,

As you point out none of us are AMEs, but since both charges were 8+yrs ago, there was no conviction, you remained clean and none of it was motor vehicle related, I don’t believe you’d need to go though the HIMS process.

Again you’d need to consult an AME to be certain.

Adam

Brandon,

I would tend to disagree with my colleague here, I think you have a very good shot at having to go through HIMS. I am not terribly familiar with that program, but I do know that it often involves surprise drug tests and a thorough review of whatever you were charged with.

Just to be clear, there is no such thing as “expunged” when it comes to the FAA. Expungement happens on the state level and the FAA does not recognize this. Primarily they do not because they know that many people complete classes, keep their act together, community service, etc and then the state court drops the charges. FAA does not care that the charges were dropped, they want to know if you were charged and why. Just be sure to answer the questions honestly and fully.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you as well for your feedback. I appreciate your candidness and willingness to share an alternative viewpoint. I intend to consult with an aviation attorney on the matter prior to consulting an AME to try and get some more clarity before proceeding.

With that in mind, regardless of the HIMS process or not (I am willing to do whatever necessary to peruse my goal), in your opinion, is obtaining a job with the regionals or majors still likely/possible?

Thank you again for your feedback and guidance, I appreciate it greatly.

Brandon

Brandon,

I honestly am not sure. I would recommend calling the recruiting departments of several regional and major airlines and asking them directly.

Chris