Part 135 SIC Logging PIC?

I was employed at a Part 135 operator and was checked out as a SIC. I was told to log PIC when I was Pilot Flying on the “empty legs” and log SIC when acting as Pilot Monitoring. Now, I have heard that this may be incorrect. Opinions? And if so, how would you fix this in a logbook?

Taylor,

If in the future you want to apply to any part 121 carriers, they will only want to see PIC time where you were the one who signed for the aircraft (aka you were the acting PIC/captain for the flight). Logging PIC for time as ‘pilot flying’ will just make it more difficult for you to separate this time down the road when filling out applications. I currently hold a PIC type rating for my aircraft, but I only log SIC time since I am not the one signing for the aircraft, even if I was the one flying. I just put a PF/PM in the notes column and log a landing so I know whether I was flying that leg. I won’t log PIC until I am a captain. This is pretty standard for part 121 operations. If you’ve already logged it the other way, and it’s too late to go back and fix it, just have a new column for true PIC (signed for the aircraft) time.

Roscoe

Taylor,

If you were only qualified as SIC and your name was not on the release as PIC, you cannot log PIC.

Adam

Taylor.

The part 91 “sole manipulator of the controls” argument has been going on for years. This is generally not thought of as an acceptable way to log flight time. If you were not responsible for the airplane, then you cannot log PIC time.

Chris

Taylor,

Just a word of caution. If your aircraft you’re flying is single pilot only then you cannot legally log SIC under 135 if that aircraft has an autopilot and the company OpSpecs have a Single Pilot authorization in lieu of SIC. The only way to log SIC is if the company has an SIC Professional Development Program approved by the Administrator or no autopilot and/or the aircraft requires two crew members (i.e. Lear Jets).

However, on an actual empty leg under Part 91 with no passengers or cargo for hire and you are 1) sole manipulator of the controls, and 2) appropriately rated for the aircraft (either type rated or the aircraft is 12,500 max gross or less) then you may log PIC. As the others have said the airlines can be picky about this time logged. A good example is King Air 200 or 90 “SIC” time. Unless there’s a PDP for the company this time is mostly looked at as bogus by airlines. If the airlines are your endgame, then play it legal and safe with your logged time regardless what anyone at any 135 charter tells you.

Mike

1 Like

This, this is a solid response.