Piedmont February 2024 Schedule

February was one of those months where you have challenging winter weather and some delays that are out of your control. This was the first time I was displaced on any flying since I have been on the line. This means that I was paired with a captain who is a qualified Line Check Airman (LCA) and they were assigned a student. The good news is that I was paid for the trip as if I flew (i.e., schedule credit is 20, we’re paid for 20 hours) regardless of the flying I picked up, unless the newly assigned flying was credited more hours. The unfortunate news is I flew 10 less hours this month than anticipated. Thankfully crew scheduling was able to put a 3-day trip on me which blocked me 10 of 20ish hours that I was displaced from.

I used February while overnighting in hotels to begin my CFI renewal. Being an ATP Alumni, we have access to King Schools’ FIRC for free. It has been slightly over 3 years since I completed my last CFI checkride (MEI, 01/21/2021). I had ‘renewed’ it in March of 2022 once I met the requirements for the Gold Seal.

Totals: 53.6 hours block time, 85 hours credited time, 15 days off

1 - ERI-CLT-ERI
2 - ERI-CLT-MGM
3 - MGM-CLT-AVL-CLT-MDT
4 - OFF
5- OFF
6 - OFF
7 - MDT-CLT(DH/)PHL-SYR
8 - SYR-BOS-ROC-PHL-MDT
9 - OFF
10 - OFF
11 - OFF
12 - OFF
13 - OFF
14 - OFF
15 - DIS
16 - MDT(DH/)CLT-ERI
17 - ERI-CLT-PHF
18 - PHF-CLT-AGS-CLT(DH/)MDT
19 - DIS
20 - OFF
21 - MDT-CLT-JAN
22 - JAN-CLT-FWA
23 - FWA-ORD-ALB
24 - ALB-PHL-MDT
25 - OFF
26 - OFF
27 - OFF
28 - MDT-CLT-FWA
29 - FWA-ORD-FWA-ORD-CLE-ORD

DH/* - Deadhead
DIS - Displaced

7 Likes

Brady,

Thanks for sharing! The displacements can be nice sometimes, but a hassle if you’re looking for flight time or if it was a trip you specifically traded into/wanted (especially bad if you’re a commuter). Sounds like it is the same rules that apply to us. It would be nice if we were credited more time for OT flying over the displacement.

Hopefully the worst of the winter weather is behind us and the flying picks up for the spring/summer season!

Roscoe

Thanks for this schedule and your other write up on the PDT training process. I have recently been given a CJO for a May class date. I’m told that the training is moving along fairly quickly versus where I saw you had some gaps between phases. Now that you’ve been flying passengers for almost a year, what tips do you have for an incoming FO? From a prior post it looks like you got a line within a few months. What are you seeing with new FOs to get a line? I’ll 99% likely be PHL based, which will be nice since I live 30 minutes from door to PHL parking lot. I also have so many questions on how to fully exploit FLICA each month for bidding. One CA there told me that it’s not a great tool compared to PBS in that you can only bid a full line versus trips. At what point did you (or will you) start getting your monthly schedule more or less what you’re looking for?

Max,

First off, congrats on the CJO and class date with Piedmont (PI). Ironically how you mention about the year of passenger flying, I was just reminiscing on a deadhead from Philadelphia to Charlotte with a flight attendant interested in learning to fly. Everything from whom I have talked to outside of Piedmont have applaud those that successfully passed Piedmont’s training because it has a great reputation.

Piedmont’s training department is fantastic (yes, I’m biased). You will receive everything Day 1 when you walk into the Charlotte training facility on airport grounds. They will hook you up instantly with an iPad and documents that are going to be used for training. The biggest learning curve you will experience from flying GA is two-manned crew. During your initial training, hitting the memory items, flows, scans, emergency memory items, and procedures should be a focus. Once thing that many struggle is when they get to the QPT (procedure training) phase they struggle to do a final flightdeck safety scan or procedure. Hanging out in the hotel crew lounge or training center on days off is beneficial. Similar to what I preach here on students going through ATP, spending time around those that have the same goals and mindset will help set you up for success. I have loved every minute flying this jet (granted everything you see online about the “no first class” or “too small”), it’s a pilot friendly jet, has a high workload (from what others have said) and is fun to hand fly when you have the chance.

Every day, set yourself a goal, you are not going to memorize everything in one sitting. We are approved to read company material while flying, I constantly check in with my documents and refresh my knowledge on items like profiles, emergency procedures, systems knowledge, etc. Recently we had to go missed on an RNAV (GPS) approach, and I have only gone around three times (2 ILS, 1 RNAV). The RNAV profile to go missed is a bit more workload than an ILS… I was thankful to have touched up on that profile before the flight. I guess you could say I’ve done 5 missed approaches now, not that I’m counting or anything…

As per FLICA vs. PBS, I can’t speak to much on that, I don’t have any experience on PBS. I don’t mind FLICA, it has a decent UI in my opinion. As for acquiring a line, I am Harrisburg based, it’s a very “undesired” base because it’s a double commute for many. Getting my choice of line depends on variables out of my control, sometimes I get the first choice (which is rare) other times I’m hitting my mid-bid pick. I bounced between REL (relief lines) and a hard line, recently started bidding 10/14 this late winter as more FO’s upgrade and go to other carriers. As for PHL, I know it’s still a somewhat senior base, but there is a lot of movement between PHL and CLT. You will find a few individuals trying to play the FO 750 HR CA pay reserve game, but I think that’s been slowing down a bit. It’s hard to say how long one would get a line coming in, but if you’re 30-minutes from the parking lot, if you had to deal with reserve, I don’t see that being a problem. You may experience RAS (ready airport standby) a few times once you first get to the line.

Brady

All good info, and thanks! I had heard about RAS. I’m ok with that simply because I’m so close to the airport. Otherwise if I’m on call at home my bag will already be packed next to the door where all I have to do is change into uniform and go.

Max,

That’s the name of the game for reserve; wake up, shave, shower, keep your luggage and EFB packed/charge, and stay within an X amount of radius/time from the airport. When I spent days on reserve, I would typically take a clean uniform in my car and go to my relatives, drink a cup of coffee, go to breakfast with friends, sit at my local airport and chat, etc. You start to figure out your schedule and habits pretty quick.

What does hurt people is the ones that try to commute in on reserve the day of work, but some companies have commuting clauses. I’ve heard of individuals also trying to wait until they get a call to then hop on a plane to go to work…it doesn’t work like that. That’s how you get a UOR (unavailable on reserve).

Brady