Pilot Career Progression

I’m older, turning 43 in March '24. Like a few on here, looking to make a career change to something I’ve always dreamt about, flying. I read the “Am I Too Old to become a pilot” post by Adam, very helpful so thank you.

It says at my current age I will never be a captain of a wide body, FO at best. Is captain of a narrow body still possible?

1 Like

Randy,

The pilot shortage has accelerated advancement but WB Capt at a Legacy still takes time. If you’re desire is to fly one there are of course other options (cargo like Atlas and the like). Thing is NOTHING in aviation is guaranteed and WB Capt is the pinnacle of our profession and frankly not everyone makes it. Further things can and do change.

You may have read that my airline Hawaiian is being bought by Alaska. If that happens the career expectations of many new FOs who had visions of flying a WB just got pushed back significantly. If you really want to fly that and that alone really should be your plan. You’d be far better served to see where things takes you. If however you’re doing this solely to hit the top and make the big bucks you might want to rethink as you could be very disappointed.

Adam

1 Like

Adam, I appreciate the thoughtful response. Candidly, knowing my late start, right now I’m OK not making it to Captain on a Wide Body. Pay is nice of course, but certainly not everything for me. Do you think Captain on a Narrow Body is still a possibility?

Big fan of Hawaiian Airlines by the way, did some marketing work with them a couple years back. Top notch airline.

It is. In fact with ATPs Direct Entry Program with Spirit and Frontier, it’s possible to bypass the Regionals and start in the right seat of a Boeing or Airbus. This would put a narrow body
Capt spot very attainable.

Adam

1 Like

Randy,

I think narrow body captain at a major is very wishing your reach. This is assuming the usual caveats of clean record, minimal failed check rides, economy does not tank, etc. Right now United has new hires holding narrow body captain.

Do you have a college degree?

Chris

Chris, thanks for the response. Yes, I do have my bachelors.

Randy,

Given that you start training next year, you’ll be about 45 when you hit the 1,500 hour mark to start at an airline. You would almost have a 20 year career, if everything went as planned. Have you taken an Admissions Flight or anything yet? You didn’t mention any flight experience.

The Bachelor’s will help you, I have a feeling eventually the industry is going to go back into a competitive state. While it may not be tomorrow, one day, it may.

Brady

Have not taken admissions flight yet, have my pre-admissions interview today with ATP. Also in conversations with a couple other flight school options as I do my research to make the best decision.

I appreciate your help as well as the other Pilot Mentors here, this is a very useful site where I even have my wife reading some of the posts/topics.

Randy,

Please let us know what other questions you may have.

Chris

Randy,

How did your pre-admissions interview go?

Brady

It went great, thank you for asking. I have my First Class AME next week and Admissions Flight scheduled for 1/6.

1 Like

Awesome, have a safe and wonderful holiday season, enjoy the Admissions Flight. We’ll be here in the next year :wink:

Brady

Randy,

Glad to hear it! Enjoy your holiday and let us know how the admission flight goes! Relax and enjoy it.

Hannah