Pilot Shortage Outlook

New to the forum. I’m wondering, with China recruiting many pilots from the US, what does it mean for salary and job outlook here in the states? I’m in the process of a career change and need as much information as I can. Thanks!

Danny,

I am not sure that China’s pilot shortage has that much of an effect on the US aviation industry. We have our own shortage in this country that has significantly increased salaried all on its own.

Chris

Danny,

China is TRYING to recruit many pilots but the truth is not that many are going. The pilot shortage in the US has ZERO to do with China recruiting BUT it has already caused all the airlines to raise their pay significantly (which was the primary reason pilots were considering going in the first place). Aside from the adventure of flying in a foreign country the reasons are few to go overseas.

Adam

Hello Everyone,

I currently have 1548 h of total flight time and all other R-ATP requirements including the 25h multi-engine time.
Im very confused and a little bit discourage as it seems like everyone is saying that regional airlines in the US are desperate to hire pilots, I have send my resume to 4 different regionals and have not been selected by 2 and the other 2 were saying that their classes are fully booked until October 2019.
It does not seem like there is any shortage of pilots.

Jonathan,

I have to say I’m very surprised. I was at a National convention 2 weeks ago and ALL the Regionals were crying that they needed bodies. Have you called and spoken to the recruiters? Have you attending any hiring expos? Most important is there anything on your record that would cause them concern? There’s got to be something there. I’ve been at a Major for 6yrs and get emails constantly asking me to interview.

Adam

Thanks for the quick reply Adam, I have spoke to recruiters prior to submitting my applications via Airlineapps and they had all told me to submit my resume. I also spoke to some friends today that are flying for different regionals and they told me their company was being very selective and some regionals their classes were full until Q3 of 2019, besides that I did have a Instrument flight checkride failure while I was in flight school.

Jonathan,

What airline is telling you the their classes are filed up that far in advance? One check ride failure should not be an issue.There might be something else going on here, I would encourage also looking into other airlines.

Chris

Republic and Skywest, Republic told me that their classes are filled all the way till Q3 of 2019

Jonathan,

This sounds like an anomaly or there’s something the airlines don’t like about your resume?

Tory

I’ve been told Republic and Endeavor are not hiring at the moment. All classes until Q1 2020 are full. It will be interesting to see what happens at Republic with their flight school. 2020 should start seeing the first wave of instructors at the school start to come through to the airline. Makes me wonder if they will slowdown their hiring off the street (not sure how many instructors they have). They have not secured any new flying, but they have 100 airplanes on order so apparently they know something we don’t.

Those are the only 2 I know of that are not currently hiring. Training is backed up at some of the other regionals, but hiring is still happening.

Carey,

That’s very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Your sources?

Tory

I just got back from an interview/assessment with Lift Academy and they said that their cadet classes are full through Q3 this year and that the program expects to generate 350 pilots per year for Republic with plans for expansion. I’m keeping my options open (not sure if committing for 5 year to a particular regional is a good idea at this point), but if they really generate 350 per year in the short term, I would assume their hiring of non-Lift pilots would decrease (?)

A few good friends at both airlines. 1CA and 1 FO at Endeavor, 1 CA at Republic. I’m going off what they have told me. A former CFI of mine interviewed at Skywest late January and was given a CJO with a May class date. I haven’t talked to him since to see if there is a backup there or if he chose that date.

1 Like

Looking at my notes i should clarify this: they are building capacity to eventually reach 350-400pilots/year before they expand*
Not sure where they’re at right now.

I’m at Republic and can confirm what Carey said. Although I believe some people will jump ship in the interim leaving openings in some new hire classes, so I would encourage folks to keep trying with Republic.

Tim,

I am currently enrolled in the June class for LIFT and am super excited. I’ve been browsing some on APC and have read some posts about the sky falling in the near future there. Of course a lot of this is probably because people in general like to complain. My only concern, is the commitment to one sole airline, being that it appears they’re a bit overstaffed right now. I realize that I won’t be in any position to even worry about a class date or anything for at least 2.5 years, and I realize you said you’d still encourage people to keep trying with Republic. Do you think there’s any cause for concern by attending their school at this point instead of ATP? I was heavily looking into ATP, but with my current loans right now it doesn’t seem as attainable as LIFT is my biggest downfall.

Julian,

How long is the commitment to Republic?

Chris

It is a five year commitment, during which they contribute to the loan payments

What happens if you leave early?

Your mileage may vary, but I made it out of the regionals in two years and know other people that have as well.

1 Like

That, along with the cost, was one of my hesitations, because I will have repay whatever republic has contributed towards my loan, plus I believe the extra $20k they subsidize to reduce the initial price. I’m not totally against being at a regional for 5 years, but knowing that it’s entirely possible to be at a major by that time leads me to hesitate just a bit