Psych Meds

So I have a question around psych meds… If I was prescribed something in the past for both anxiety and depression while going through a difficult time in my life at that time, will that get in the way of either 1) me obtaining a FAA first class medical or 2) even becoming an airline pilot if I have not been taking them for years?

Natasha,

That will absolutely affect you getting your medical. Not saying you can’t get one but you’ll definitely need to jump through some hoops.

You need to contact and consult an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner).

Adam

1 Like

Natasha,

Yes, this will absolutely impact you getting a medical. It doesn’t really matter how long ago or the reason you were on them, the FAA will want to look into it further. It probably won’t stop you from getting a first class medical, but it will take time and potentially high costs on further testing for it to be approved. I would suggest you speak with an AME (aviation medical examiner) about a consultation so they can give you proper guidance. I’d suggest you start early, because it can take months or years to obtain a medical with this type of history. Bottom line, it is possible, but it will be time consuming and costly. I’d also suggest a discovery flight prior, if you haven’t already, so that you are certain this is a career you want to explore.

Roscoe

1 Like

Natasha,

You are going to need to contact, consult and visit an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) as this will affect the status of a medical. You may also have to visit a HIMS AME, that is where I would start. To find your nearest AME, visit this link:

Brady

1 Like

Thank you… I appreciate the information…

Cost wise, what are we talking about?

Noone here can answer that question, we’d just be guessing. But the FAA does state it very directly that all costs of obtaining a medical are the responsibility of the airman.

You need to book a consultation with a HIMS AME, they specialize in nonstandard cases. Your AME will outline what you can expect to go thru specifically for your case. For me with 2 marijuana arrests in my past, its random 48hr notice drug tests and seemingly endless sourcing of police, court and treatment program records and writing personal statements. You might have to see a shrink and prove to him and to the FAA that youre mentally stable. It maybe a one time visit, might have to be a series of visits. Nobody here knows.

Your insurance won’t pay for any of it. Nor will it pay for the AME consultation, or the actual medical exam. All the costs for whatever and whoever the FAA wants you to talk to, paying for drug tests, taking time off work to drug test, etc, all of that is on you.

1 Like

Natasha,

A first class medical exam ranges from $125-$200 depending on where you live and the doctor you choose to see. From there, the cost will fluctuate if the medical is deferred based on any extra testing needed or past medical records. Every case is different but with HIMS involved, I’d say expect $1,000-$2,000.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks Hannah and everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. This was very helpful.

Natasha,

Absolutely, we’re here to help, please let us know if you have any other questions. Once you get an answer, please check back in, you may be able to help someone else in the future that comes across the thread. Everyone’s medical case is different, but maybe, just maybe, someone out there is in the similar boat.

Brady