Questions

I have a couple of questions. I’m going to turn 40 this year and was wondering if it was to late in life to start to pursue an aviation career as a pilot? Then my second question is I was convicted of a felony of Sexual battery when I got involved with a female inmate while working as a correction officer. Would that stop me from pursuing this career?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Chris

Chris,

First 40 is definitely not too late, while you’re not young. you’re certainly not old either. The bigger issue is your criminal record. I’m not going to lie, that’s a problem. There’s actually a provision in the FARs regarding earning your ATP license that states “the candidate must be of good moral character” which the FAA could potentially question as you’re asked about and convictions on your medical application. Second the airlines really don’t like felonies. Airline pilot can be somewhat of a “high profile” job as you’re publicly representing the company. If there were an incident and your background came out it would not look good for the airline. What I would recommend is you contact an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) and ask about obtaining a First Class Medical, if you could that would take care of the FAA aspect. As for employment I would contact some Regional airlines and ask them directly. Know that your chances are getting to a Major are not good.

Adam

Thank you Adam. I will look into those ideas.

Chris

Chris,

You will not be able to be hired by any airline with that sort of criminal record.

Chris