R-ATP question

Is it possible to get a R-ATP without a college degree to get hired at a regional?
For example, I am soon to have 1500hrs total time with no college experience. I have read that I could potentially qualify for an R-ATP with the 1500hrs total time substituting for the college degree. Am I understanding correctly?

Drake,

Obtaining your R-ATP really has little to do with you having a degree or not. The R-ATP was created to the airlines to hire pilots who met all the time requirements of a full ATP, but hadn’t reached the age of 23. When the legislation was passed they also created an hour reduction for pilots who did their flight training as part of an FAA approved aviation degree program. Simply having a degree (aviation or otherwise) won’t have any effect on your ability to earn your ATP.

Long short degree or not, yes, if you meet all the requirements of an ATP cert and are under 23, you can earn your R-ATP. If you’re 23 or older and meet the requirements you can get for full ATP.

That all said the Majors still prefer pilots with 4 yr degrees and as always we suggest getting one.

Adam

Drake,

According to 14 CFR 61.160(f), R-ATP is possible without a college degree as long as you have 1,500 TT, 200 hours XC, and all other aeronautical experience requirements met per 14 CFR 61.159. Other than that you need what Adam said to qualify for the hour reductions.

Mike

Drake,

With 1500 hours and no aviation degree program you’ll only get the R-ATP if you’re under age.

Hannah

Drake,

The others answered your question(s), I would like to add my four-cents (inflation is making it more expensive these days), I recommend looking up the regulation of an Airline Transport Pilot fully. From the general/eligibility to required flight hours that follow under 61.160 (age at least 21).

Brady

:joy: :joy:

1 Like