R-atp, atp

If you enroll into ATP School at 18 and get all your ratings, hours but cannot receive your ATP until 23. But, you can get a R-ATP at 21 if you’re a military pilot, but being a military pilot requires a bachelors degree, and you cannot honorably discharge as a pilot until 10 years of service, so how does that work? Another way to get a R-ATP is to have a bachelors degree or associates at the age of 21, so if you’re someone who doesn’t go to a college, and you enroll into ATP school at 18 and completed it at 20, do people just become a CFI until 23 when they’re able to get their ATP and work for a regional airline, Is this what people usually do?

Tyler,

You’re a little confused about how the “R” (aka Restricted) ATP works. There are a few ways to achieve one but they all share one thing in common. That you don’t meet the requirements for a full (unrestricted) ATP.

While Military pilots and those who have a 4yr aviation degree (AND did their flight training in conjunction with their degree) can get an R-ATP with a reduction to the 1500hrs. Anyone can get their R-ATP at 21, provided they meet the hourly and ALL the other requirements.

That said we still recommend people get their 4yr degree before flight training. While the Majors don’t require one, they all prefer one and it’s also a good idea to have a Plan B.

Adam

Are there some ATP Graduates who did the above like I mentioned, enroll at 18 and get into an airline pilot position at 23 without a degree?
By conjunction do you mean people in a college/university enrolling for an aviation degree complete flight school for all their ratings simultaneously in the college/university or separately in a flight school?

Thanks for the reply

Tyler,

We seem to be having trouble communicating.

Yes there are pilots who started at ATP and were hired by Regionals BUT they did not have to wait till they were 23, they were hired at 21 and received their R-ATPs.

As far as in “conjunction” that means doing your flight training as part of an FAA approved airline degree program. Problem is those are generally very expensive and offer no back up should flying not work out.

Adam

They were hired at 21 because they fulfilled 1 of the ways to receive a R-ATP; military, bachelors degree in aviation, associates degree in aviation with the 1,500 hour reduction and attended ATP Flight School, correct?

I do understand the conjunction, thanks.

Tyler,

This is probably the best explanation for the multiple ways a R-ATP can be met and the different requirements depending on which path is taken.

Chris F

1 Like

Tyler,

I’m not sure why type struggling with this very basic concept? I don’t know what you read or what you’ve been told BUT AS LONG AS YOU SATISFY ALL THE ATP TIME AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS YOU CAN GET YOUR R-ATP AT 21. NO 2YR DEGREE, NO 4YR DEGREE, NO MILITARY.

Adam

1 Like

I now understand, the a page on the ATP Flight School only lists “College Experience” and “Military Experience” for their respective R-ATP requirements, that’s why I was confused. Thank you for your time, have a great day.

Those references are for the hourly reduction, not age.

Adam