Reduction in the 1500hr Rule?

Very few details as to what would qualify as “acceptable substitute” but should be of interest to EVERY on this forum.

Adam,

I recently saw a video of Rod Machado on a news outlet saying for the government to not do anything about the shortage. I know it’s not to address the shortage directly, but it will have an impact on it. He said that the market will take care of itself. Whether anyone is for or against it, it’s some food for thought.

Yuran

So do you all think the 1500 hour rule will get reduced?

The 1500 hour rule might very well get reduced, but I doubt anytime soon. The last time the rules changed it took the FAA several years to come up with a final decision. I wouldn’t base my plans on the rule changing.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know. There’s ALOT of lobbying going on by the airlines for some relief and this amendment seems to be gaining some traction. On the other side are many passionate people who are working hard against it. We’ll have to wait and see?

Adam

I just find it interesting that people with zero aviation experience tell us how to train and what they deem acceptable. Now, I’m not upset about it, but it kind of bothers me a bit. I know it’s done with good intentions, but let the folks with aviation experience help shape the industry?

On a side note, the 1500 hour rule contributed to the pilot shortage and thus increasing the pay and quality of life at most if not all regonals. Not all bad!

Yuran

Yuan,

I agree with you, but unfortunately this is no different than teachers or other professionals that get told how to train and do their jobs by people with little to no experience or expertise.

Ryan

2 Likes

Very interesting. When I started at keyflight academy in September 2001(yeah that didn’t help) I think it was 750 before the airlines would take a look at you, could be wrong that was a while ago, then colgan air 3407 became a political football resulting in part to the 1500hr rule. Sully certainly had a role as well. The result makes it pretty damn hard to reach the goal of landing an airline job. It definitely had an impact on my training or lack there of. Hope it changes but until then guess I have to stay in the envelope.
Side note: looking at the Hartford CT location. Anybody train there?

You are exactly right that the FAA would take years to actually change anything. But this is in a Congressional bill. If passed, it would become law and the FAA would have zero say. Their only input would be a timetable to accomplish the changes, most likely between 1 and 2 years. This is far from done, however. There is a lot of opposition to changing the rule from unions and flight schools and other influential game players. We’ll have to wait and see.

Scott,

I disagree with you on the FAA having zero say. Look at how the last change went, Congress essentially mandated the FAA to make a change, but did not clearly specify what they wanted. The FAA took years to then produce the exact language of the change. Unless Congress is extremely specific, the FAA will have a lot to say about how this rule changes.

Chris

Interesting, prior to 1500 hours rule creation it was possible to be hired by major or regional airlines right after graduation ? (With 150-250 hours)

Andrew,

Prior to the 1500hr rule you still needed a Commercial pilot license which means at least 250hrs. While I have heard stories of people getting hired with that low amount of time, most of the airlines were looking for 700-1000. Fortunately I had done my training with ATP (long before any other flight school had partnerships or letters of agreement) and they got me an interview with 510hrs and was hired 540hrs.

Adam

Adam, do you know where this stands now? Not that it would make me delay my plans unless it is already sitting on the President’s desk. I don’t have much faith in our government moving anything through with a sense of urgency…

Jason,

The 1,500 hour rule is not changing anytime soon, if ever. The only people that want it to change are the regional airlines. The unions and most pilots themselves see the rule as one of the driving forces behind the pilot shortage and thus the increased pilot pay that we have seen in recent years.

Chris

1 Like

Andrew,

Yes, I was hired at ExpressJet with 725 hours, which was actually a little bit on the high side back then. I also made 1/3 of what current regional pilots do.

The increase in the hour requirement has directly led to increased pay.

Chris

Jason,

As Chris said the 1500hr rule isn’t going anywhere. This thread is almost 2 years old and there’s been almost zero discussion. I’m a union officer at Hawaiian and we get ALL the aviation news, proposed legislation etc. and there’s nothing in the works.

This is America and you can do as like, but the way things are going if you wait, you’ll be near the retirement age before you start training.

Adam

1 Like

As I said, won’t change my plans, just curious. Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the response Chris, the pay sure is fantastic right now.