Removal from ATP

Hello, I am planning to attend the Michigan location starting around October/November. I have my private license already through a local school and in trying to find information of course you always come across the negative/toxic reviews. For those of you that have seen or knew people that were removed from the school what did they do? was it really from them not shaving or were they just a dirt bag and them not showing up shaved was the final straw? Was the school the problem or were they?

Also in light of that I understand the school is very fast paced and will be taking my written prior to the course. How far behind will the school let you fall? how lenient is the school with someone who is “a slow learner” but not such a slow learner that this school is clearly not for them.

I come asking these questions not because I’m that guy that wont follow the rules I just saw some people online blaming the school and being removed or dropping out. I would like to think of myself as quite a natural when it comes to flying but I am horrible at being book smart so I do worry about falling behind. any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Brendan,

This is a great question and just the fact you’re asking it tells me you should be fine (it’s generally the overly confident “I’ve never flown before but I KNOW I’ll be awesome!” that give me pause).

Ok so let’s discuss. One of the top reasons people choose ATP is the short timeline. Everyone is in a hurry and wants to get this training nonsense over quickly. What they don’t realize is ATPs program isn’t accelerated just to get you finished fast, it’s short by design specifically to prepare you for airline training. The question gets asked is (as you did), what if I can’t keep up? My response is always well, what makes you think you can keep up with airline training (which is considerably harder)? I maintain that given enough time (and money), almost anybody can earn their PPL. Does that mean they should be flying for the airlines? No it doesn’t and the fact is (despite the Teletubbies and mom telling you can do ANYTHING you want) not everyone should be an airline pilot. While it’s not rocket science or brain surgery, it does require a certain amount of intelligence and coordination that not everyone possesses. Now to bring that to the naysayers you’ve read on the internet. Thinking you’re all that and we’re destined to fly for Delta but then finding out maybe you’re not is a hard pill to swallow. It’s far easier to blame ATP then to accept the fact it’s you that’s the problem. Make sense? The fact is the vast majority of ATP students are successful to the point where over 1,100 (on average) are hired by the airlines every year.

With that all in mind you’re concerned which will you be? A success story or someone bashing ATP because they couldn’t make you a pilot? I’m going to let you in on a secret. Without question, the #1 reason people are unsuccessful or fall behind is failure to do the work. Again ATP was created by airline pilots to train airline pilots and the goal is to get you ready to handle the pace of newhire training (which trust me is no joke). You say you’ve never been book smart (which means you question your smarts). Flying planes doesn’t require advanced math or science. Can you add, subtract, multiply and divide and regurgitate some basic concepts? If the answer is yes then forget the “I’m not smart enough” factor. What is absolutely required is the ability to learn a HUGE amount of information and that my friend means putting in the work. Some people are blessed with the ability to read something once and retain it. Most people (incl myself) aren’t so fortunate. That means you need to study, ALOT. If you read it once and don’t get it, read it again. Twice doesn’t work, make it 3, 4, 5, 10, 100 times. Don’t understand something then ask. Your instructor is there to help and will work with you as much as you need. ATP will provide you with everything you need to be successful BUT, YOU have to be willing to hold up your end and do the work. Don’t and you will fall behind, you will wash out and you’ll probably be on a forum somewhere bashing ATP. ORRRRR you can roll up your sleeves, say failure is not an option and work harder than you ever have to be successful.

Up to you my friend.

Adam

4 Likes

awesome thank you for the insight! when I start I will just put in as much effort as I can and do my best! and study study study

1 Like

Adam,

As I read through your post I felt as though you were talking directly towards me. I could relate to some of the same things Brenden mentioned and I very much appreciated your input. I have been an observer here on the forum for a little while now and as I plan to attend ATP in the near future this gave me some helpful insight on how my experience with the program might look. Seems that my success is obtainable and realistic but it’s up to me to get it done. Thanks for your guidance to all aspiring pilots.

Cheers,
Kyle

1 Like

Brenden,

Welcome to the forum.

ATP is a flight SCHOOL. I emphasize that word because their purpose is to turn non pilots into pilots. They understand that people will have struggles in the program and will work with them. I struggled a bit on the instrument work, my CFI did some extra sims with me and I was fine.

I will say though that the whole “being a natural” at flying thing really ends with the PPL. The rest of flying involves taking book knowledge and applying it in the airplane. Book smarts is what enables you to fly instrument approaches, deal with weather, handle mechanical issues, etc. Getting the writtens complete ahead of time will be a huge advantage to you.

Chris

Awesome thank you so much for what you said about how “it ends” I will really try to focus on my studies and push the books as hard as I can

Brenden,

If you work hard and have a good attitude, you should be fine. Removals from the program are not taken lightly. If it comes to that, it’s because there was repeated lack of progress and proficiency throughout multiple attempts to get back on track. At the end of the day, ATP wants you to be successful and you want to be successful… show up prepared, work hard and do what it takes.

Hannah

Brenden,

ATP has a wonderful track record, “removal” from the program is not a continuous occurrence, but when it does come up in discussions, it’s because there is a lot of factors leading up to why it may not be fit for the student. ATP Flight School is an accelerated flight training school, it’s what Embry-Riddle and all those other university/academic programs take in 4-years into 7 months. With that said, it is a FAST-paced program, built as promised, “Fastest Track to an Airline Career.” When you arrive Day 1 of your program, it is like an interview because at the end of the program as long as you’re in good standing, pass your checkrides and have a good attitude, you could be offered a job position to instruct for and quickly build your time while creating new memories and friendships that will last a long time.

Brady

1 Like