Requirement to be part of ATP

Hi everyone,
I hope you are doing well, I am very new in all if this and I have been researching about everything, now something that I cannot find is the requirements needed to start at ATP, I have been reading the question and answers and its seems like I need the private pilot license, or does ATP provide that too in the 9 months of course? If not why does the website mention that I can start from zero experience? Please provide me any information. Thank you for your time and help.

Best wishes,

Pablo Vinuesa Berchetti.

Pablo,

https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/admission-prerequisites.html

The above will give you all the requirements both for with your PPL and without. There’s a ton of info on the website and I recommend you spend some quality time on there.

Adam

Adam

When I inquired to ATP a little over a week ago they informed me the only way to get accepted into their program was ex military, have a bachelors degree or close to, or have your PPL.

Per ATP website:

• Successfully Complete an Admissions Flight with ATP
  • Associate’s Degree, or
    • 60+ college credit hours, or
    • equivalent work experience, or
    • military experience
  • US Citizenship (or Permanent Resident)
  • FAA First Class Medical Certificate
  • Adherence to Height and Weight Limits - Due to aircraft operational limitations, students taller than 6’3" or weighing more than 250 lbs may be denied training in ATP aircraft.

So military, college (60+ credits) OR equivalent work experience. So, full time work experience that can be used. You would need to contact admissions for clarification to see if you qualify, but it’s not quite as pigeonholed as you think currently.

1 Like

So the height requirement is only for ATP? Is there a height requirement for commercial airlines?

Billy,

Yes, ATP has a height (and weight) requirement. The airlines do not.

Tory

Thank you Tory, that’s a good thing because I’m 6’5 & am looking to pursue a career in aviation very soon.

1 Like

That’s great! What is “soon?” Are you planning on taking any of your written exams before you start? If you have enough time, you should.

Tory

Also, what did ATP say about your height question? Will they accept 6’5"?

ATP said my height would have to be discussed. Soon I say would be by May. I have been doing some research and have been talking to the International Areo Academy in Lakeland Fl, they are affiliated with trans state airlines.

1 Like

Never heard of them. At first glance, I notice they are a part 141 school and they don’t advertise that they offer CFI training.

I’ve never attended a part 141 school. Some have strong opinions against them for their syllabus pitfalls, but to each their own. A part 141 school ultimately provides you with the training to earn the same ratings as a part 61 school. You just have to decide for yourself which program is the better fit your you. If you don’t understand the major differences between the two formats, 141 vs 61, I strongly suggest you do your research. I would go as far as thoroughly investigating each school you are considering too. A lot of them quote prices based on FAA minimums and not national averages. There are some good questions to ask a flight school in the FAQ section. The questions are designed to help you avoid getting your flight training drawn out longer than it should be by knowing which “what if” questions you should ask.

The other thing you need to be considering is in reference to the CFI statement I made earlier. How will you build hours towards regional airline flight minimums? Most pilots flight instruct. Since International Aero Academy doesn’t appear to offer CFI training, according to their website, you will have to figure out how to make that happen. Of course, there are other ways to build time, but those jobs are few and far between because there aren’t many companies looking for low-time pilots. Plus, those types of jobs, in my opinion, don’t offer a comprehensive variety of flying, i.e. VFR, IFR, multi-engine, cross-country, night, etc. unless you are able to get on with a small charter or cargo company.

Tory

Yes sir they have a Zero to Hero class as they call it. Once you obtain your CFI you work for the school as a CFI for $28 an hr. TransState airlines is affiliated with the school, they come in interview you make sure you are a good fit and offer a job on the spot. Once you have completed your flight hrs you work for TransState. I am going to the school nxt Friday the 25th to talk more in depth with them on what the courses offer.

I don’t see the CFI training listed on the website. Just Zero to Commercial Multi.

I did find this in the FAQ section…

Are your aircraft insured? As a student, am I covered if I accidentally break something?

All of International Aero Academy aircraft are insured. However, if a student damages one of our aircraft and it is their fault, they will be responsible for paying the insurance deductible. We do recommend students purchase rental insurance, which is available at reasonable rates. Please contact us if you would like additional information about rental insurance.

…I’ve never agreed with this policy.

Tory

The website says that the interview occurs after receiving your commercial license. It makes no mention of CFI training.

Billy,

Not to rain on their parade, but in today’s hiring environment every flight school is affiliated with one airline or another, it really does not mean much. What does matter is getting to 1,500 hours. Once you are there all of the airlines will likely be interested.

Chris

For the record, ATP carries full insurance and students have no need to insure themselves.

1 Like

Yes sir, Iv only talked to the administrator over the phone but like I said I will be visiting the school nxt Friday and will have MANY MANY questions to ask while I’m touring the campus!!

1 Like