Research Phase

Hello All - I am 28 and have been very interested in jets and the aviation industry in general for much of my life. I am currently working in corporate america and am not enjoying it at all. Given the current trends in aviation, I have considered making a career change and going to flight school but am not really sure where to start. I do not have a PPL and was considering doing a “discovery flight” at a non-ATP flight school in my hometown of Minneapolis and taking things from there. Does anyone have any advice for someone like myself, either general or specific? Thank you!!

Jay,

You’re doing the right thing going for that Discovery Flight. While everyone thinks they were “born” to fly the fact is some are and some are not. Until you actually go up you honestly won’t know if it’s something you’d really enjoy. After that you’ll be in a better position to make a decision. If you love it and are ready to commit obviously we recommend ATP as the best and most efficient route to an airline career. If you’re still on the fence. maybe start taking some lessons, see if you have any aptitude, maybe earn your PPL first and then decide. Lastly of course if you hate it then at least you know.

Adam

Hey Adam,

Thank you for the advice!! I agree that I need to sort out whether it is something I truly want to do or not. I have been very interested in aviation for quite some time and am constantly at the aircraft viewing area at MSP International and listening to ATC. However, I totally understand that actually being in the cockpit is an entirely different animal. If the Discovery flight goes well and maybe I take a few lessons and determine it is for me, then ATP is likely the direction I will be headed. I am single with no kids so relocating to pursue this career would not be a hindrance. Thanks again for the advice!! I will be in touch.

Side note - Have you ever flown one of Hawaiian’s A332’s to MSP for maintenance? I believe Hawaiian has a contract with Delta TechOps for A332’s. I see them here semi-frequently. :grinning:

Jay,

I think a discovery flight is absolutely the first thing you should do. Beyond that, take a look at a post called “Questions for any prospective flight school” in the FAQ section as it will help you know what questions you should be asking. Also, if you enjoy the discovery flight, obtaining an FAA first class medical certificate should be on your to do list, just to make sure that you do not have any health issues.

Chris

Jay,

As a matter of fact I have. It’s usually done as a “live” flight from HNL-SEA then a ferry flight to MSP and reversed the other way.

Adam

Very nice! Oh yes, now that you say that, I know they normally go to SEA from MSP. I have seen them go direct from MSP to HNL before but, to your point, that appears to be the exception and not the rule.

Jay

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response! I was thinking that after the discovery flight (assuming things go well), I would look into the FAA medical next. I will also look in the FAQ section as well, thank you for the advice!

Jay

Jay,

No problem at all, feel free to come back with any additional questions you may have.

Chris

Hello,

I was going to sign up for a Discovery Flight at a local flight school here in Minneapolis. They offer the Discover Flight in a Cessna 172 or a Cirrus SR20. Is it important that I chose one over the other or does it not really matter?

Thanks!
Jay

Jay,

It’s a discovery flight so no it really doesn’t for the purposes of just seeing what this flying stuff is all about. BUT, I’m willing to bet the hourly rate for the Cirrus is considerably more than the 172 so unless money isn’t an object I’d probably go for the 172. It’s sort of like taking a test drive in a Mercedes but then buying a SmartCar. The Benz dealer sells both and they’ll both get you from A to B BUT…

Adam

Jay,

I would go with the 172 as I am sure it is a less expensive option. There is no need to fly a Cirrus on the first flight.

Chris

You both were right. The 172 is literally half the price of the Cirrus, so I will be going with that. Initially they made it seem like they were the same price so that’s why I asked. Scheduling it for this coming weekend then, if it goes well, may look into getting the medical fairly soon after that as well. Thanks!!

-Jay

I did my introductory flight at a local flight school here in Minneapolis on Sunday morning. It was a cool experience! I was sort of expecting it to be more of a site seeing flight but the CFI I was with had me actually fly the plane much more than I was expecting which was cool. I did some basic turns as well as a few other things. I had really never been in a small, single prop plane like a cessna before and I will admit that at times, I was a little nervous, especially when doing some of the turns. I have read various online forums that said that this is normal for students’ first few lessons but I wanted to get your thoughts on it. The CFI thought I did a great job, especially considering I had not flown in a plane like that in the past.

After the flight I was thinking about next steps. I am not entirely sure that I am ready to commit to an entire professional pilot program based on 1 hour of experience. I was considering looking at getting my PPL at a local flight school here and then transitioning into ATP once I have my PPL. I know that by the time I complete a PPL, I will have a very good sense as to whether or not I want to pursue it professionally. Also, I will obviously need to complete my medical prior to doing the PPL.

I just wanted to get anyone’s thoughts on this and where I should be thinking next steps wise.

Thank you!!
Jay

Jay,

Completely normal and yes I think that’s a great idea. The thing to keep in mind is flight hours are never wasted. If people are certain then sure dive in but if you’re not, there’s no rush. Thing is people like to set these very finite goals and I frankly don’t think that’s always necessary. What I say is start taking flight lessons and working on your PPL. If at some point it clicks and you decide yes this what I want to do, then just sign up. If you want to keep going and earn your PPL do that. There are many routes but only you can decide what’s best for you.

Adam

What school did you do your intro flight with? I did my private with Valters Aviation at the Lake Elmo airport just east of the cities.

Its very normal to be nervous. Flying for the first time in a small plane is a completly new experience. Some students are fine right away, others take a few flights for them to get comfortable.

Doing my private outside of ATP was both a plus and minus. I got to ensure it was what I wanted to do, but when I came to ATP I now had to learn a new plane, new polices and procedures, all while trying to learn instrument. It was a little extra work but in the end it worked out. I would do the same if I could go back.

I like Adams idea of starting to work on your private, you’ll get a sense of if it is what you really want to do. Just keep in mind, if you do your private outside of ATP, you’ll need to get to 80 hours before coming in credit for private.

Thank you both for the insights! I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this sorted out in the fairly near term and take it from there. Immediate next steps are probably to move forward with my medical.

Tucker - I did the intro flight at Inflight Pilot Training which is located in Eden Prairie, MN.

Thanks!
Jay

I had a buddy do his private there. He liked them.

Make sure to keep us in the loop as you progress with your private!