Resources for Resume Help?

I just finished up my training with ATP. I’ve been working on updating my resume but there are some questions that I have and can’t seem to find an answer for. Does ATP offer any resources for building a resume? Can I go to someone at my ATP training location or are there resources and tools available on the ATP website? Are there any good resume examples that I look at to get a general idea of what a low-experience resume should include?

Some of the issues that I have run into are:

1. I transferred to ATP with a Private Pilot license and Instrument rating from Minnesota State University. I did not finish my degree with MNSU. Should I still include MNSU under education in my resume?
  2. I do not have very much work experience-just a high school job at a fast-food restaurant. Should I include this work experience on my resume?

@nathan.miller I’ll give you a call to discuss your questions shortly and will email you a resume template. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nathan,

I don’t believe ATP offers any resume services. There are of course companies that do but I wouldn’t spend the money. Pilot resumes are generally fairly simple. Start with your Flight Experience. List your licenses, ratings and flight times. After would be your Work experience if any. If you don’t feel that HS job will benefit you then don’t include it but personally I feel it shows responsibility and character that you worked through HS. Many people do not. Then comes Education which is self explanatory and finally Extra Curricular and/Hobbies. While these might not seem important all it take is for one person to say “you do underwater basket weaving? Wow I do that too!” and you’re in.

Most word processing programs (Word, etc) have resume templates that work really well.

Adam

1 Like

Nathan,

1. I would list how many credits your received from MNSU.

2. I would absolutely list your work experience. It all matters and working through high school shows perseverance.

As an aside, I would certainly plan on completing your college degree at some point if you wish to fly for the majors.

Chris

1 Like

Hi Ashley,

Thank you so much for your timely response and help! I haven’t received your email and I’m wondering if you have the correct email to send the template to? It’s nathan.b.miller@hotmail.com.

Best regards,
Nathan

@Adam & @Chris

Thank you for the helpful responses.

Although it’s not exactly aviation-related, I think I will include my work experience on my resume.

Also, I like the tip from Adam to include some Extra Curricular/Hobbies. I’ll take anything I can get to set me apart from other applicants!

Thanks again,
Nathan

Hey Nathan,

This is how I have mine organized:

• Name, Address, Email, Phone Number

• Flight Time (Total, PIC, TPIC, TSIC, XC, XC PIC, ME, Night, IMC, Last 6 mo)

• Certificates and Ratings

• Aviation Experience

• Community Service

• Education & Professional Development

• Personal Interests & Hobbies

Tory

1 Like