Right after college

Hey guys, I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now. First wanted to say that you guys (Chris, Adam, Tory, and other users!) seem very professional, humble and informative, unlike other forums out there, so thank you.

With that out of the way, here is my situation. I am currently a student at Boston University and I want to become an airline pilot. I took Adam’s advice and took an intro flight, WHICH I ABSOLUTELY LOVED. I’m still glad I’m at BU since airlines just want a degree, and I have something to fall back on if flying takes a hit. This leads me to question however, since you guys always recommend going to college, THEN going to a fast track flight school, what the likelihood would be of me actually getting approved of such a large loan? I’ve seen plenty of guys on this forum get flat out rejected even with work experience after college and a long credit history. I currently attend BU on scholarships (need and merit) that make it cheaper than my local in-state college/university. Are there things I should know that would help me make a quick transition from college to ATP?

Really appreciate your help in advance! If anyone else has had experience with this feel free to chime in!

1 Like

Jason,

You’ve obviously done some reading through this forum (which I appreciate). Education loans are unsecured which can make them very challenging to get. When it comes to financing the best advice I can give you is to contact ATP Admin and speak to the experts. That said as you stated many people with solid credit histories have been shot down and I think you should probably consider finding a good co-signer to help.

As far as transitioning you’re still in “school/study mode” so that should help. Really the only advice we give everyone is to complete as many of the FAA Written exams as you can, prior to starting. The exams really don’t follow any curriculum but do require a fair amount of study all of which is done on your own time. If you can get them out of the way before it’s lightens the work load considerably.

Adam

1 Like

Jason,

Thank you for the introduction and your kind words. Also, thank you for actually taking the time to read other posts, we really appreciate that.

I absolutely think that you should finish your degree and then go to flight school. The loans can sometimes be tough, but it sounds like you won’t have much, or any, college debt, so that should really help. If I were you, I would plan on having a co-signer for the loan as most applicants have that.

Even though you aren’t ready to sign up for the program now, I would call the admissions department and ask your financial questions. They can give you a good idea of what to expect and how you can get yourself in a good financial position to apply for the loans.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks Chris and Adam for your help! I’ll give ATP a call even though I have a bit to go before I even start. Can’t hurt to learn the basic steps I need to take to prepare. I also looked at other “fast track” flight schools (seems like the best way to do it…Adam says if you can’t succeed at a fast pace what makes you think you can at the airlines?) and so far ATP looks the most upfront about pricing, timing, etc, which I really respect. Even though it is very expensive, I at least feel like I’m not being swindled. Another big name school quoted me a little more than 40K for everything but when you look deep within the website you find out those are quoting minimum hours. That kinda stuff is annoying and turned me off entirely. THEY DIDN’T EVEN PUT THE AVERAGE COST!!! Sorry, rant over.

Jason,

I always encourage everyone to do their research. Any flight school can put together a sexy website and quote minimum flight times. The fact is that ATP has been training pilots for airline careers for over 30yrs, has partnerships with virtually EVERY Regional in the country (*btw, I’m aware due to the pilot shortage this is less of a big deal since the Regionals are desperate and are making agreements with everyone, BUT ATP had these agreements a decade ago when I did my training and most schools did not) and has placed over 500 in the last 12mos alone.

This a very important decision, please do your research, ask questions and make sure you’re happy with that decision. Oh and feel free to rant away. I always do :slight_smile:

Adam