Should I join the Civil Air Patrol?

Steve,
Do you know what type of positions are available for the reserve? I know weapons loader is one, but do you know about any others?
(And thank you for your service)

Dillon,
That really depends on a lot of things, location, reserve vacancies, etc. That type of specific question is really better suited for a reserve recruiter. Have you taken the ASVAB? The ASVAB is the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, its a test that determines your suitability for certain jobs and depending on your scores determines whether you’re eligible for specific jobs. For example, if you score very well on the “mechanical” portion of the test, you’re eligible for more maintenance jobs, whereas if you score poorly in “mechanical” you won’t be eligible for those jobs. A recruiter can explain better than I can as I joined the Air Force in 2004. If you have general questions about Air Force stuff I can be of assistance, but if it is something super specific, like joining the reserve where you are, I wouldn’t have the most up-to-date information on that.
Hope that helps!
-Steve

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, where it’s never dull. Glad we can answer the truly pressing questions.

Hannah

3 Likes

Apparently Wall Street agrees with me:

2 Likes

To be honest, both soda’s are mid

Water is better than both Coke and Pepsi, change my mind. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh no, the broccolis have infiltrated

Adam

2 Likes

Don’t mess with the Waterboy, Adam

Dillon

Steve,
Is it possible to take an example ASVAB test online?

Dillon

Recruiters may have real practice tests for you. I would just google it :man_shrugging:

This is what I found: https://asvabpracticetestonline.com/

1 Like

Dillon,

As a longtime cadet, I cannot recommend Civil Air Patrol enough! It actually helped with my ATP admissions call when they were getting to know who I am. It has offered me so much both in and out of the aviation field. As a matter of fact, their five free orientation flights are how I discovered my love for aviation and my desire to be a pilot.

However, reaching the rank of Cadet Second Lieutenant (C/2dLt), which is the rank that will allow you to enlist in the Air Force at E3, takes an average of two years in the program. If you’re serious about committing to your promotions and training, I’d say absolutely do join. Chances are you’ll fall in love with it like I did.

The way promotions work is that you can promote every 56 days. The Billy Mitchell Award (accompanying the rank of C/2dLt) is ten promotions up the chain. Each promotion has a test based on a chapter of leadership and aerospace textbooks, a physical fitness test (only required to pass each 6 months), and a drill test.

Detailed Promotion Requirements Chart

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/VA_60100_Full_Size_2F3FCD143C159.pdf

As for the workload, it’s really not that heavy until you get very far along in the program. I was able to hold a staff position in my squadron during all years of high school.

Each squadron usually meets once a week, with meetings averaging 2-3 hours.

As a cadet of over 7 years (more to come) who has far passed the rank of C/2dLt, I’d recommend at least trying it out. Because it’s entirely volunteer, it’s basically free once you purchase your uniform (there are many free/discounted ways) pay your annual membership fee (usually about $30/year depending on the state).

If you do join, it’s up to you to add things to your resume. There’s loads of fun involved but also a solid amount of work once you get to the higher ranks. The leadership and aerospace training I’ve received with CAP has helped me in my job and now my admittance to ATP, and those are just two of many examples.

I apologize for how all-over-the-place this post may have been. There’s a lot of awesome stuff about the CAP Cadet Program; no way it could all fit into a decent-sized post here.

If you have any questions, I’d love to answer them and help you out however I can!

4 Likes

Luke,

Thank you for your response, this does help me a lot with my decision. But I would like to ask you, what does the CAP do in their meetings?

Dillon

1 Like

Every squadron is different, but I will base this off of my squadron, which is pretty close to the typical squadron.

One weekly meeting is based on a character development lesson, an aerospace class, and cadet promotions. The uniform for this meeting is usually dress blues.

The next weekly meeting focuses on uniform inspections, a safety lesson, and drill and ceremonies. The uniform for this meeting is usually ABUs (camo uniform)

The third weekly meeting is PT (physical training). These meetings are where we complete the Cadet Physical Fitness Test (CPFT) together as a squadron for each cadet to earn CPFT credit for their promotions. You only need to pass the CPFT once every six months, but obviously you should strive to continuously maintain a high level of fitness (as you normally should anyway). Aside from just the test, most squadrons also use this time to have a fun PT-related game like ultimate frisbee, volleyball, capture the flag, etc. It’s really fun.

The fourth meeting is either an emergency services lesson or miscellaneous other training topics or leadership activities. The uniform is usually ABUs.

Not every meeting is strictly required to be outlined a specific way but most squadrons aim to hit the areas of leadership, character, aerospace, and PT regularly each month.

Meetings can be anything from classes, to activities, to games, to fun nights. Also, pretty much everything is cadet-run. Cadets are responsible for the training of themselves and their fellow cadets. Cadets organize meetings, teach classes, lead/train cadets, and other responsibilities. As far as cadet activities go, senior (adult) members are basically there to make sure nobody explodes and nothing goes wrong (as well as being another source of motivation and support for cadets when they need it).

So basically, meetings consist of classes, activities, and spending time with your fellow awesome cadets.

Any more questions I’d be glad to answer!

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed insight in to the CAP @TXPilot! :slight_smile: This is great for those wondering what it’s all about and some of the benefits of membership.

Hannah

3 Likes

In addition to the weekly meetings there are activities around the area and state where you get to experience more different things than your normal meetings and meet more people from the area.

One of the highlight activities that I was able to do was UH-60 Blackhawk rides at the nearby Air Force/Army joint base. Other activities have been volunteer work, aviation tours, CAP-specific things, and more

Like I said the true awesomeness and variety of this program is too much for a post here

2 Likes

Thank you for this very detailed response, it actually made me really want to join the Civil Air Patrol. Now, for the last question I got, do you know what the physical requirements are? I want to make sure I can pass the exam if/when I join the Civil Air Patrol.

Thanks
Dillon

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that!

The PT test (CPFT) is a mile run, push-ups, sit-ups, and sit-and-reach. To pass, you must pass a combination of the mile run plus 2/3 of the other things.

The thing with the PT test is that it is no longer required to pass for the first three ranks; basically just try your best and get accustomed to the test and prepare for when you actually have to pass it.

The chart for the specific requirements is linked here:

I’m not sure how old you are but as an example, according to the chart, a 16 year old male needs an 8:42 mile time, 24 sit-ups, and 18 pushups.

The push-ups and sit-ups are conducted using these cadences:

Your squadron staff will go into detail about the requirements on how to do push-ups and sit-ups.

1 Like

Thanks! I really appreciate your time and for you answering my questions Luke. I hope to see you in the air one day

1 Like

Yessir, any time! Hope to meet you up there as well!

If you do decide to join, could you please make sure to let me know either in this thread or via direct message?

1 Like