Skywest Pathway Program

Hello, I am planning on going to Utah Valley University to do the PART 141 training program. I am also looking to join Skywest after to get the flight hours to get to a Major Airline. I was looking on the UVU site and saw that they have a Pathway Program, researched and tried to understand it as much as possible and can’t figure out how it works. So ya my question is how does it work for all those that have done it out there? Please answer in as much detail as possible cause I’m trying to figure all this out before college to be best prepared. Thank you and best wishes.

Michael,

It’s fairly simple. After you earn your licenses and ratings (and have 250hrs, CPL mins) you can apply to SkyWest to be a cadet. If you’re accepted you’ll be eligible for travel benefits, class seniority and Tuition Reimbursement provide you build the required 1500hrs (and your record remains clean).

Not sure what else you need or want to know?

Adam

So I would most likely apply after college after getting my R-ATP license at Utah Valley University?

Michael,

No. You would apply after you earn your Private and Commercial licenses and have 250hrs. You wouldn’t have your R-ATP until your done building your 1500hrs and are actually at SkyWest. This might help:

Adam

1 Like

Hello,

Is it any different when you go to a part 141 program at one of SkyWests elite partners?

Michael,

Skywest has “Elite” partnerships with both 141 and 61 schools like ATP. The only difference is if you go to a Part 141 school AND your flight training is in conjunction with an FAA certified degree program, you may qualify for lower flight time minimums to get your R-ATP.

Adam

Okay, thank you so much for your patience I understand this a lot better now.

,Michael Callis

Sorry one more question and I know it might sound dumb but do I gain those 1,000 or 1,250 hours while in a part 141 program flight school? Or do I need to gain them after I complete part 141 flight school?

Flight time is built AFTER you’ve completed training. The most common route is by flight instructing.

Adam

Michael,

If you attend a program like ATP, you will complete the ACPP with roughly 250 flight hours. You will need to build the remainder of flight time through either flight instructing or another P91/135 gig. As Adam mentioned, CFI is the most common way to obtain the hours.

As for the pathway, you must read the fine print as to what partner schools participate and if you choose to interview for the pathway, meet the prereq’s and requirements.

Brady

Thanks for the info! I will be attending Utah Valley University and I just found out that it’s an elite partner of skywest so I can join it as soon as I start the part 141 program. Thanks for responding!

Also being a Skywest Cadet just guarantees you for an interview at Skywest and is not a sure thing that you will be hired.

Just for your info, not trying to sway you or your decision to do a part 141 program, but I have had multiple friends that had their R-ATP from schools like Embry-Riddle and UND and were not able to get hired at an airline until they reached their 1500 hours.

I know each situation is different for different people and things change like crazy in the airline industry. Hope this helps.

Kyle

Thanks for the info!