SkyWest vs Frontier Airlines

Hello, everybody. I’m early in the ATP program (wrapping up TOLs) and am interested in both SkyWest and Frontier Airlines at the moment. They both have cadet/pathway programs, and am curious … is it frowned upon or even allowed to enroll in both?

For anyone currently pursuing SkyWest or Frontier, what convinced you to seek that particular airline over the other? Realizing this is a personal choice, I’m in the researching phase and figured this was a good way to start.

Thank you all in advance!

Chris,

You will not be able to enroll in both programs. I will let others chime in here as to why they chose one over the other.

Chris

Chris,

While you can apply to multiple programs you can only accept and participate in one (no double dipping).

As for which the choice is yours and there are pros and cons to each. Personally I’d wait as the environment changes daily and I’d be hesitant to lock myself into one this early.

Adam

Which would you rather be stuck at for 5 years if the hiring stops?

SkyWest has it’s advantages: many base options, travel benefits for your family across four major airlines, etc.
Frontier is a major airline: pay is better (marginally these days), 15%DC to 401k, airline is aiming for significant growth over the next 8-10yr.

Both programs would incur some sort of employment contract after receiving financial benefits. With SkyWest those don’t start until CFI. With Frontier you start getting stipend payments immediately.

You could sign up for SkyWest now, and try for Frontier later after you get some successive first time check ride passes under your belt.

2 Likes

Chris,

Honestly shelve this debate until you’re done with the program! You just started and have so much to focus on that’s right in front of you. I know it can be exciting to plan and dream but you have to be successful getting all your ratings before you can even entertain which company you want to work for. Focus on what’s ahead of you, TOLS. Then maneuvers, then solo, the XC then checkride. That’s the focus right now.

Those programs will be there when you’re done in a few months. Then you can spend all the time in the world mulling over your options.

Hannah

2 Likes