Southwest Airlines, and where to begin

Hello all!

I would like to start off and apologize if this falls in the inappropriate category and/or is not permitted in general on this fourm. Moving on, I have already begun my pilot training in a 172 as I further my knowledge and understanding of aircraft to eventually become a Airlines Transport Pilot for a american carrier, preferably Southwest. As it came to thought, I would love to achieve a position at my local airport (KBWI) with Southwest to get me closer to aircraft operations, and familiarize myself with the 737/738 aircraft. Is there any particular job that I could receive that would accomplish this goal? I know age with create a huge factor in this. If anyone needs clarification, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

PTV

PTV,

Other than visiting southwest.com and searching for entry level positions, I don’t know how much more help I can be?

Plus, I need to point out that I think you have your priorities backwards. Right now you’re a student pilot. All you should be doing is learning how to become the best and safest pilot that you can be. Jumping ahead and familiarizing yourself with an aircraft that you won’t be flying for at least another 5-6 years, if you’re lucky, more like 10, or never? Nothing personal. That’s the reality for a lot of pilots.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but I’m not understanding why this is important to you at this stage? Most pilots get hired at airlines with very little knowledge, if not none at all, of the aircraft that they will be flying. That’s what training is for. After a pilot gets hired at an airline, or any other flying job for that matter, the company provides the pilot with the necessary training and resources to operate the aircraft safely.

Tory

1 Like

PTV,

There is absolutely no value to working in any operations position for an airline if your goal is to be an airline pilot. To be a pilot you need to learn to fly, then build your hours and get hired. Loading bags into the bottom of a 737 will not help you accomplish that goal. Focus on being a pilot.

Chris

1 Like

@Tory and @Chris appreciate the responses! After further pondering, and taking your words into the equation, I believe I should just focus on flying the 172 until I get to a certain point. I was just looking and assessing other options that pay that I could possibly enjoy at BWI, and that could get me on the ramp as well. Thank you again!

1 Like

Sure. I’d rather see you flying. Your time would be better spent in an airplane. Network like crazy with anyone you know at Southwest and use that to your advantage, but stay in an airplane.

Tory

PTV,

Jordan will most likely chime in as she’s our resident SWA pilot and expert. She did considerable networking to get where she is but I can assure you she never threw bags for them. What Jordan did was work hard during training and work twice as hard once she made it to her Regional. SWA hires professional experienced pilots and you need to focus on becoming that.

Adam

Just focus on training.

I’m a great example. I was training about 10 years ago but financially I couldn’t continue during the recession.

I decided to get an airline job and gain experience. I worked for Southwest on the ramp, customer service, and operations. The positions definitely will give me a better perspective as a pilot, but it has not helped me any other way other than build my network up.

I do know of a captain that did all those positions as well plus he was a flight attendant while he did his pilot training. It took him a while but now he’s finally living the dream.

I am just now starting to prepare myself to get back into flying again sometime these next few months. I recommend just going all in. If you need a loan, try to get one and just focus on getting your training and hours and moving ahead full speed. The industry has never looked so good and these next few years will hold the best opportunities. I’m 30 btw, so it’s now or never in my opinion.

Hey PTV,

Resident Southwest pilot here (as Adam has so endearingly named me haha). While being an employee of SWA can get you a leg up, it’s nowhere near as valuable as flight experience. As the mentors have mentioned, working other aspects of the operation may be interesting, but they won’t make you any more qualified for a pilot position. Get flying ASAP and stay involved with the company if you know it’s the end goal. Being close to BWI will help as I’m sure they will put on a lot of events throughout the year that require volunteers. They love to hire people who show an honest desire to be a part of the SWA family. And it’s definitely a good idea to get involved in your free time, but focus on getting as far ahead of this pilot hiring wave as possible. As everyone preaches here - when it comes to the airlines, seniority is everything! Feel free to reach out if you have questions.

Jordan

Thank you all for the replies! I have gone more in depth with education standards and requirements to become a major airline pilot, and I see education and college is key. Unfortunately, I do not hold the greatest GPA, but also not the worse, but it has worried me on the risk of loosing my opportunities to becoming my dream. I have been interested in UND, but have fallen back and felt that it is out of reach. I know the option is still there, but what are the other options in becoming a Pilot?

PTV

Take a look at this post:

https://airlinepilot.life/t/how-do-i-become-an-airline-pilot/10891/2