Speeding tickets in the past

I was wondering if my tickets in the past will severely affect my chances of getting a job as a pilot in the future. I am currently 19 years old and in my sophomore year of college. During my junior year of high school I got my license suspended because I missed too many class periods, it had nothing to do with my actually driving. A couple years later I received a speeding ticket for going 9 mph over the speed limit. Finally a few months ago I rear ended someone in a construction zone and received a ticket because of my carelessness. With that being said I plan on starting flight training school in the fall and if I work hard to keep my record clean do you think airlines in the future will overlook my mistakes in the past?

Emily,

Regional airlines used to be much more concerned with driving records than they seem to be now. Due the pilot shortage they’re willing to accept a some infractions. However they don’t like suspensions or people who blatantly break the law. Majors are far less forgiving.

Stop the bad behavior NOW and you should be ok. Don’t and you won’t. It’s that simple.

Adam

1 Like

thank you for your response! I plan on changing my behavior from now on and seriously think about how my actions can affect my future goals. I have another question about schooling if you don’t mind answering. Since I am going to graduate with my AA in May what path would you recommend? Going to flight school for 2 years and then working for a regional airline while taking classes to earn my bachelors so I will be able to apply for majors… or earn my bachelors then begin flight school when I am about 22 or 23 years old?

Emily,

I always recommend people complete their 4yr degree early and get it out of the way. It’s far easier and gives you additional time to weigh your options.

That said there’s no question going the route you first mention is faster and will get you a seniority number at an airline 2yrs sooner which is significant.

I think what’s important is you need to assess yourself and be honest. If you have the discipline to go back after and finish up your degree then there’s really nothing wrong with that but if not I’d choose a more conversational route.

Adam

Emily,

I do not think that these instances will hinder you from getting hired at the airlines, but you need to clean it up and do so now. No more tickets, no more skipping classes, no more carelessness.

Chris