Would my record hurt my job opportunities?

I’m 25, graduate of a 4 year state college, heavily considering flight school. I want to be a pilot, but I’m concerned my record may hinder opportunities down the road. I was hoping for any insight and advice you could provide. Any response helpful.

• 04/2010, I was 17, failure to obey traffic control device
  • 07/2011, 18, speeding (6-10 over)
  • 06/2012, 19, failure to stop for steady red light
  • 07/2013, 20, public intoxication
  • 10/2013, 20, failure to carry vehicle registration card
  • 03/2016, 23, speeding in 55 zone (21 OR OVER)

The public intoxication charge no longer shows up on my record as it was expunged in July of 2015. I’m always unsure if I should include this or not, but I always assume it’s better to be upfront and honest than have it discovered down the road.

Summary

This text will be hidden

Joe,

While there’s nothing horrendous there, you definitely have a history of irresponsible behavior and the fact that it was spread over 6yrs sure doesn’t help. The FAA and any prospective airlines will ask specifically if you’ve EVER been ARRESTED (not convicted etc) for anything drug or alcohol related. I’ve known many pilots over the years who have claimed, believed, etc that their records were “expunged” but these things always somehow seem to show up when the Federal govt starts looking and then you’ve lied if you answered no so best to own it. Anyway here’s the deal, it’s been 2yrs since your last issue and if you start training the earliest you’ll get to a Regional airline is another 2 which gives you a little distance. The Regionals need bodies and again there’s nothing too scary listed so AS LONG AS YOU REMAIN CLEAN (and I do mean squeaky clean) you should be ok. HOWEVER, if more of this behavior continues after you start you’re flight training any prospective airline must assume you simply don’t care and went from an irresponsible young man to an irresponsible adult. Airlines don’t hand over the keys to $50mil jets to irresponsible people so your future is completely in your hands. If you really want to be a pilot act like it.

Adam

Nick,

You are in the gray area on this one. When I look at your record, I see a pattern of willful disregard of the law that has existed over several years. A few years ago, I would have told you to wait a couple of years, clean up your record and then go to flight school. However, now the regionals are hurting for pilots, so things have changed. If you can keep your record clean and show that you have changed your ways, I think you will be okay. You also need to keep a clean FAA record.

The airlines will ask about your record and they will not want to hear excuses. I suggest that you own your actions, tell them that you have changed your ways and have a clean record to prove it.

Slow down and start following traffic signals. Your behavior shows a willingness to disregard safety and to endanger people’s lives. No airline wants to see that.

Chris