Stall feeling in the Gut

Im new to the community here at airline pilot and I have a question, How do some pilots deal with that stall feeling in the gut?

I was never a fan of doing stalls. I learned how to cause a stall and then recover from it. Now I simply avoid them :slight_smile:

I was in the same bot as chris. At first they made me nervous but I did then enough so that I was less nervous about it an now they don’t phase me

My best cure for students afraid of stalls was to have them sit in a full power off stall and keep it upright with rudders. You essentially flutter down like a leaf. It’s a lot less scary when you realize how much control you have over it. Good luck :+1:t3:

2 Likes

In the airlines are y’all required to do a full stall to the break or is it more of inducing the stall and then recovering after the first sign of one?

Santos,

As you get more comfortable in the air the sensation should pass.

Adam

Al,

For a long time the FAA pushed stall avoidance and we would always recover at the first indication of a stall. However, after a few bad incidents (Air France 447 amongst others) they changed their position (in 2015) and now require you to actually perform full stalls and recover. Particularly at higher altitudes.

Adam

1 Like

As Jordan said, doing the falling leaf helps teach that stalls are just another maneuver that can be easily and safely manipulated by a pilot.

1 Like

Moe,

I understand what you’re saying, just not sure that’s the best advice for someone who’s having some concerns, BUT…whatever helps.

Adam

2 Likes