Start at ATP with a private pilot license

I echo what Chris said. I just graduated in June with my degree. I am not a pilot YET, but it feels great to have it out of the way. Now I can totally focus on the next steps in life without having to worry about balancing of everything. It’ll give you time to think about everything too and every big decision needs time.

10 years ago I was sketching airport designs in my free time (and maybe during class hehe) and now I’m about to start ATP. If the passions there’s, you’ll still have the urge to pursue it after college. Just my thoughts.

Thank you Chris and Patrick for the advice

Can I get my private through ATP before enrolling in atp? Like do it separately? Bcuz apparently they won’t let me in without having it or 2 years of work or college which I have neither… I know ur gonna tell me to go to school first but I’d really rather become a regional pilot & then earn my degree online… Instead of going to a school, living in a smelly dorm with no income, or working warehouse jobs like I have the past 3 years… I just want a change…

Grant,

ATP does not offer a separate PPL program. While I understand and appreciate your desire to dive right in there’s a reason ATP has the requirements in place. The Career Pilot Program is a VERY accelerated and intense training program that requires a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication. ATP did not always have the requirements but found that the majority of applicants really did not understand what was required workload wise and subsequently washed out. The requirements were put in place to see the applicants had demonstrated the ability to start and complete a task to fruition.

Adam

Adam yea that’s understandable… I definitely don’t wanna spend that kinda money and fail… This workload u speak of at atp… What % is hands on vs what % is more mental learning, papers, tests, etc.?? And how long do u typically spend a day at the atp facility? I think I heard u also get off facility assignments too right? Kinda like homework…

I appreciate all the feedback

Grant,

By hands on I assume you mean “flying”. The percentages change throughout the various the various phases, ratings and licenses. For example during the cross country/time building phase you’ll be flying 90% of the time with the other 10% devoted to planning the flights. Conversely while preparing for the initial CFI you’ll be spending maybe 80% of your time reviewing EVERYTHING since EVERYTHING is fair game during the oral exam. For the rest you’ll be sliding from 40-60% books vs sim and actual flight time. It’s been a while for me but typically you’ll spend a few hours of classroom, a few in the sim and a few in the air and again that will slide depending on the particular skill and where you need the most help. Homework and quizzes are a daily chore.

Adam

Thanks Adam I was just curious what the experience would be like… Sounds like there’s a good mixture, it’s good to hear they will focus most on ur weaknesses…