Start to Finish ATP times?

Hello,

I am wondering how long it takes to complete ATP Flight School. Obviously, their website says it takes 7 months, I am wondering how accurate this is. If you end up being delayed by two months due to weather, do you have to pay extra for the extra two months? What if you fall behind in your studies? Will it just take longer or will you automatically fail out? Does it cost more if it takes longer because you did not study properly?

Secondary question completely unrelated (didn’t want to start a new post for small question)… as far as the tuition reimbursement from regional airlines goes, do you have to sign a contract before you start ATP training? Do you sign a contract after you graduate? And regardless of either of these, which one worked the best for you? Is there one that gives the most money towards paying off a loan?

Adam,

1. The advertised 7mos footprint is accurate for the majority of the time and locations. Obviously weather and other unforeseen issues can delay things.

2. No, if you’re delayed due to unforeseen or uncontrollable factors you will not be charged anything additional. The price is for the training and flight time. Now the duration of the course.

3. If you fall behind that’s on YOU. You need to go in to this knowing that the training is HIGHLY accelerated and requires a 100% commitment. While the program is very doable for most people of average intelligence and coordination, the number one reason for failure is people not willing to put in the work. If you need additional hours you will be charged but at some point ATP is not going to keep taking your money and you will be terminated. Checkride failures are not a joke, get too many and you won’t be offered an instructor position nor will the airlines be interested in hiring you.

4. There are no contracts with the airlines for reimbursement or anything else prior to training. Why would they? You might not be successful. After you complete your training and start building time you’ll have the opportunity to speak with the various airlines and see their offers. They change with the market. What’s best now might not be then.

Adam

Adam,

1. ATP does not publish these #s. They have changed the timeline in the past, so I would argue it is to give an accurate timeline. I’ve always told people to budget for an extra 2 months of delays (unforeseen or training issues).

2. You could be charged for unforeseen delays depending on the reason (rare and if it comes up please argue your case, I believe ATPs contract includes free refresher flights for certain reasons). I know people were charged extra due to WX / TFR delays causing their currency for solo flight / long XC expiring and having to redo them with a CFI.

3. ATP has and will kick out students who get behind due to their own issues (failures, lack of studying, lack of availability), usually 1 month you’ll be on radar, 2+ you’re likely on chopping block (note, quoted hourly rate is based on finishing program, if you leave early for any reason, you are charged a higher hourly rate). If you perform badly in training ATP will not offer CFI job.

4. Adam answered about contracts.

5. The airline pathway contracts change often. Gotta do your research on these.

Chris F

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. What do you mean by “budget for an extra two months of delays”?

Adam,

No problem. Have 2 extra months of money saved for bills just in case you are delayed for any reason.

Chris F