Starting at Denver (KAPA) in July & Knowledge Exams

Hey everybody, I’ve been browsing this forum for some time now and am grateful for all the information available on it and to everybody that participates in the conversation.

I took my PAR yesterday and passed with a 98. Kings schools course was invaluable but I also really liked using the sporty’s study app in addition to Kings. With that app you can tailor a study session to specific topics that you want to spend more time on. Also they give you explanations for any wrong answers, which I found to be very helpful.

Now onto IRA, I just set up Sheppard Air on my iPad and am excited to begin studying the material.

I am starting my training at ATP from zero time at the Denver location in early July. Is anybody else starting in Denver around the same time? I would love to connect!

-Mike

3 Likes

Mike,

Are you planning on also taking the FII and the optional IGI at the same time as the IRA? I recommend doing so, they are almost identical exams.

Good test score on the PAR, keep up the great work.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

I am definitely planning on taking the FII at the same time as the IRA, but I was going to hold off and take my CAX before I got into the ground instructor exams. Based on my timeline of moving to Denver in a little less than two months and currently working full time, my current priorities are getting PAR, IRA, FII, and CAX complete before my move and start date. If I have extra time at the end of June I was planning on taking the AGI and IGI exams.

What are your thoughts on that approach?

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Take the IGI with the other instrument exams. It is almost identical to them. If they will let you take all three in a day, I would do so.

Sounds good - thanks for the insight Chris.

Hello mentors and contributors -

Just as an update - Sheppard Air and IRA test prep are going great, I’m excited to take the IRA, FII, & IGI in a few weeks.

Over the last week or so I’ve been contemplating changing my program from the regular ACPP to the 100hr multi option, and I want to get some opinions and insight from pilots who have been through the program. The main reason I’m considering this is to make myself more appealing to part 135 operators upon completion of the program. Initially I was planning to instruct (and still may), but given the current hiring climate I want to make sure I have the maximum number of options for employment. Also given the performance of the seminole I think I would be exposed to a greater diversity of flight conditions and in turn would be a more confident and tested PIC coming out of the program.

Given your past experiences, is this something that is logical to consider? What was the transition like going from an archer or 172 in your private phase to learning a new aircraft, multi engine and instrument procedures simultaneously?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

-Mike

Mike,

Glad your studies are going well. Personally I’m a huge fan of the 100hr option (provided you can afford it). In it you’ll do a good portion of your training in the twin. This is a complex airplane and the more time and experience you have in those aircraft the better pilot you’ll be AND the easier your transition will be going forward after training, should you find a job other than flight instruction. The transition from a single to a twin is fairly simple, going from a single to a high performance twin, turbine or jet can be a bear. Again the more complex time you can get in training the better.

Adam

1 Like

Mike,

I am a fan of the 100 hour program. I feel that it offers more diverse flying experience, further flights, more complex time, and the Seminole is just downright fun to fly. I also agree that it makes you more appealing to 135 operators. We are returning to a time when it will not just be a race to 1,500 hours. Qualifications matter again and having more multi time is always a great thing.

Chris

1 Like

Great, thanks for the insight.

Mike

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

@Michael17 wondering how things are going for you so far at ATP KAPA? I live here in Denver, and if I go ATP that will be my location of choice