Starting in September!

Hello Everyone,

After doing research regarding a career as a pilot and drinking in advice from these forums for close to 2 years, I finally pulled the trigger and I start on September 9 in Hartford. Just passed the PAR today with 95% (thanks to King Schools, felt very well prepared), now on to IRA.

Thank you Adam, Chris, Tory, and everyone else who has asked and answered questions here; there is a good chance I have read most of them :smile:

Can’t wait to start wearing those blue polos!

Sam

4 Likes

Congrats on the written and good luck, to you, 9/9 will come sooner than you think!

I did my intro. flight at Hartford, very small location but seemed like a great group of staff there.
If I could stand to bear another New England winter I would have considered the Hartford location as my top choice!

2 Likes

Sam,

Greet news! Please keep us up to date as you go through the program.

Chris

1 Like

I recommend studying for the commercial practical before you study for your IRA test. The commercial test will have stuff that is familiar to you, just more in depth, while the IRA test will be completely new. Just my two cents.

Joshua,

Did you mean to say that you recommend that Sam study for his commercial written test (CAX)? I don’t see how anyone would go about preparing for the commercial practical without a PPL. Regardless, taking the IRA and FII after the PAR is what most people do and I think it’s totally fine to do it that way.

Tory

I wholeheartedly and respectfully must disagree. Yes, there are some items on the CAX that you will be somewhat familiar with after the PAR, but there are plenty of questions in the Navigation/Instrument section that you likely will not be familiar with until you study for IRA/FII. CAX to me was almost like a combination of PAR and IRA, only more in depth.

Although Sheppard air is simply a study tool to help you pass the writtens (and not necessarily learn the material), I found that when taking the CAX, having seen that portion of the material already on the IRA made it easier to study and remember with Sheppard.

I would definitely recommend PAR, then IRA/FII together, then CAX.

But you may certainly do what you feel is best for you.

Congratulations! I’m looking at the same location in the next year. ATP website says Hartford does not have housing available.
https://atpflightschool.com/housing/
Were you able to get in ATP housing, or are you getting a lease? Good luck with your writtens!

Thanks guys. Different things work for different people but I plan on just sticking with the recommended order and do the IRA next.

As for housing in Hartford, the next opening is in the end of December and that’s when I’ll move in. For the first 4 months I’ll rent a room somewhere. If you need housing, I suggest you put a housing deposit right along with your deposit for the program, the earlier the better.

Sam

2 Likes

Sam,

I think that’s a smart move. While yes different things work for different people, ATP has been doing what they’re doing for a LONG time. The program works and we make recommendations based on positive previous results.

Adam

2 Likes

Just a small update; passed the IRA and FII today with 98 and 100. At least 10 -15 of the questions were exactly the same between the 2 exams, and the rest I had seen while preparing for the IRA. It is definitely an excellent idea to take these two exams at the same time. The Sheppard prep course really does work. Unfortunately I took longer than I planned to study, and now with less than 10 days until my start date, I probably will not be able to prepare for and take the CAX.

3 Likes

Good work. No worries. I took none of the tests before starting and the program was 6 months. Not 9. You’ll be golden.

Tory

1 Like

Great job. Thank you for the update.

1 Like

Just passed my PPL checkride today. I am a bit behind schedule (2 weeks behind) due to weather delays and DPE availability. My instructor ended up getting a job and leaving at the end of November so the head instructor finished up my training. I always thought I would prefer to have the same instructor from beginning to end, however I have to say it was beneficial to hear and see things explained and done in a slightly different way. Like the mentors like to say, training is pretty standardized so it was not an issue.

In any case, this was a good Christmas present to get. Starting instrument training on Monday, and hopefully I will be able to make up the lost time. If anybody has any tips and tricks regarding the Instrument stage, anything I should keep in mind or do ahead of time, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sam

4 Likes

Sam,

Congratulations on obtaining your PPL! That is a huge accomplishment. Please continue to keep us in the loop as you go through the program.

Chris

1 Like