Starting from zero! Hopefully with ATP

So I’m currently an airline employee, flight attendant 3 years, with company 13 years. I’ve had multiple conversations with our pilots and so encouraging to me and so fourth.and I think its time for me to jump n feet first and do this! I’ve done every position within the airlines from ramp, customer service, hell even pushing wheelchairs during the pandemic! I’ve been reading the cadet programs for envoy through ATP and it sounds great with all the incentives, zero to certified.
I’m coming in with zero knowledge like most but I’m willing to learn! Can’t wait to start the journey. Should I try and do the written test before I even step foot on the campus ? Should I get ppl at mom and pop first to cut the cost down, I live in perfect flying weather (Vegas) so starting anytime of the year here is okay, I know seniority is everything and my age (39) I need to get started asap! any pointers or guidance wold be much appreciated

1 Like

Henderson,

As I’m sure you’re aware, now is the best time in history to become a pilot and yes at 39 you need to get crackin’. To answer your questions:

1. yes, we always recommend completing some or all of the writtens prior to starting training. It’s simply a box to check and you’ll be much very served getting them out of the way. The ATP program is HIGHLY accelerated and will required a tremendous amount of study. Anything you can to to lighten the load is a good idea.

2. The only time we recommend getting your PPL first is if you’re unsure of flying is something you can or want to do. Other than that why wouldn’t you want to do all your training (particularly your initial) at the school you’ve chosen to get you to the airlines?

As always I recommend you visit the ATP website and browse our FAQ for more answers.

Adam

Henderson,

Welcome to the forum and ATP, as Adam says it best, “the clock is ticking.”

I don’t think any of us can’t say it enough, the recommendation to at least get the PAR written completed prior to entry is a huge head start to your program. If you have time to knock more out, great, Sheppard Air will help you prepare. We have a guide for the Airman Knowledge Test, the way to study for the PAR is undecided and there’s multiple application/software out there.

You’re on a time crunch and the last thing you need to stress is plane availability and maintenance at a smaller-scale school if you want to get to the airlines. It took me 13 months to get my private at a smaller-scale school, and 3 of those involved the school being closed due to financial and management issues. At ATP you can trust the team of experts in Florida and all over to help make sure that you will have a plane for your lesson. Sometimes we can’t expect when that one plane on the line gets a flat and can’t get fixed until the next day, or weather happens when you have a fleet of planes. I think the only reason you should want to consider a smaller-scale is if you’re unsure of flying, which you don’t seem to be - so I think a school like ATP or similar is worth your consideration.

You might have also hit the lottery, there’s a location right in North Las Vegas too:

I recommend getting a training center tour scheduled along with an admission flight, and meet some current student/instructors at the location. You could call admin at 904-595-7950 to schedule it.

Brady

1 Like

Henderson,

Welcome to the forum.

If you have time, yes, you should work on the written exams. However, I would in no way delay a class date for the written exams. The program is designed for students to do the exams whilst in the program. If you have time great, but I would certainly not hold off training for such.

If your desire is to train with ATP, then it simply makes sense to do all of your training with ATP. If you start with ATP, you will learn things the “ATP way” from day one and your training will be much more cohesive. Mom and pop schools are exactly that, small operations that are usually not well versed on training professional pilots. I got my PPL from a local flight school and really came to regret it.

Chris

1 Like