I’m 18 years old and this upcoming August, I will be attending the University of Iowa as an undecided major… I don’t really know what career path I want to head down, but that’s okay. Aviation and piloting have just recently become an interest of mine, but I honestly have no clue how to obtain a job, where to start, what schooling or training I need to complete, or if becoming a pilot is even something I want to do for the rest of my life. I haven’t done much research, mostly because I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for, but my questions are these:
- how much time do pilots have with their families? Do you see your family often? Is piloting just one of those jobs where you are out of the house for weeks at a time?
- does the job come with more stress than most other jobs?
- again, I haven’t looked into it, but would there be anything at the University of Iowa to evolve my interest in this occupation?
- what would be my best move as of right now- I’m interested in piloting, but unsure?
- is flight school expensive?
- do I complete college with a bachelor’s degree? Does it matter what field of study?