Suspension

Hi I am 18 and in high school. Currently about to graduate. I ended up getting an OUI(DUI) but is currently getting expunged. I was curious as to how that will affect my private liscens. I have about 36 hours and only need 40 but I will probably end up getting more than that. My driving liscens is already valid as well. And I want to pursue aviation as a full time job. I also was interested in seeing if there were any apprenticeships that I could join and have any information on good ones. I do not wish to go to college. I rather have an apprenticeship to where they help pay for my flights, and help get me a degree in something alike in aviation.

Christian,

• you will still need to mention the arrest on FAA forms and have a solid explanation of why and what you’ve learned. Expunged means little in Aviation, DOT and Law Enforcement career paths.

• Good News, if expunged you can still go to Canada which is good because it costs $1000s to regain entry and is required for most Aviation jobs.

• I cannot think of an “apprenticeship” in aviation that isn’t related to A&P rating (mechanic). There are internships through colleges but obviously it requires going to college and is highly competitive. There are some small flight schools that will trade work for a discount on flight training but that is a very slow path.

• Not having any degree limits your pilot job opportunities by probably 50% or more. And pay would be limited as well.

The Army does have a Warrent Officer program to fly airplanes without a degree. All training is paid for, and can use VA benefits once out to finish degree. I believe there is an age requirement so you’d have to either join as a grunt for acouple years or join once you’re old enough.

I think the main takeaway should be aviation is a unique mix of Blue & White collar type work. Yes, we crawl under the plane and need good hand/eye coordination, but you have to put in the effort toward the book work too.

Chris F

Christian,

Ok a few things, when it comes to a DUI and the FAA there is no expunged. To obtain a First Class Medical which you’ll need to fly professionally the FAA will ask have you ever had a DUI, you have so the answer is yes. Failure to disclose is a federal offense and you’d be done. If you keep yourself clean going forward you should be fine but you will need to make things right with the FAA and getting your medical so that could take you a while.

Next while there are cadet programs, none can give you a degree. To earn a degree you’ll need college and to fly for a Major airline you’ll need a degree. Further none of the cadet programs will pay for your flight training (some may reimburse you). Getting into then is not easy and with that in mind you really want to work on your writing skills.

I recommend you visit our FAQ section. There are answer to many common questions and will give you a better idea about the process.

Adam

I already have my class A medical. And I do not wish to hide the fact that I messed up. One of my flight instructors said it’s better to get a degree in something other than aviation. “Due to the fact of supply and deman when it comes to flights like now on the pandemic.” Do you think this is also responsible or should I end up going to college for aviation?

• First Class Medical?
  • Yes, we almost unanimous agree that a non-aviation degree is best for a number of reasons.

Chris F

Christian,

First I’m not aware of any “Class A” medical issued in the US (we have 1st, 2nd and 3rd). If you do in fact have a First have you reported your DUI and provided all the required documentation required? Since you make no mention of it and are only concerned with getting your PPL, I’ve got to think either you haven’t or you got the DUI after. If that’s the case you’re required to report it to the FAA.

Covid or not we don’t recommend getting an aviation degree unless they’re already established in the industry.

Adam

Christian,

Welcome to the forum. Your DUI will not be expunged as far as the FAA is concerned. They will ask: “have you ever…” and they will be able to find out the truth, expunged or not. The FAA looks at offenses involving drugs and alcohol differently than they do other offenses because they know that they are often expunged, even though the person was in fact guilty of the crime. I do not think that this will be a total career killer for you, but you need to keep your record absolutely clean moving forward.

If you want to be in aviation full time, that generally means shooting for the major airlines. It will be almost impossible to get to the majors without a degree, so I would plan on getting a four year degree. There is no reason to major in aviation, in fact I recommend against it. Please check out the FAQ section for more on this.

I am not aware of any apprenticeships in aviation, the industry is not set up that way.

Chris

Christian,

As stated before, the only apprentice program available is the airframe and powerplant mechanic certificate. By FAA requirements it is 18 months if you are pursuing a single certificate (i.e. just the airframe) or 30 months if you are pursuing both. If you want to look into that the FAA has it on their website. The requirements are in F.A.R. Part 65 Subpart D.