Tattoos and other appearance expectations

So are any type of tattoos allowed for the pilot program or a pilot job? I have tattoos on my arm and unsure if I can still become a pilot or if I need to get them removed

Travis

Travis,

Every airline in the US prohibits any “visible” tattoos. That means if you’re ink can be covered with sleeves you’re fine, if not they need to go.

Adam

Travis,

An excerpt right from an airline handbook, policy of appearance focusing on tattoos:

“While in uniform, conceal any tattoos.”

If your tattoo is coverable, you should be fine. I know my old ATP instructor who did my Multi-Engine training is now flying in an airline, wearing long sleeves all the time… I saw a post the other day from a student here that discussed the consideration of tattoo removal.

Brady

Travis,

If you can cover them, you will be fine. Do know though that you will be that guy wearing long sleeves in the summer when everybody else is wearing short sleeves. At many airlines, that also means you must wear the jacket. Not such a comfortable idea in Houston in the summer.

Chris

Travis,

I’d recommend getting them removed so you’re not subject to long sleeves for the rest of your career. Summer months will be brutal….

Hannah

Hannah,

I respectfully disagree. I LOVE watching FOs do walk-arounds with long sleeves when it’s 90°+. Constant source of amusement. Especially when they tell me they dreamt of flying their whole lives! :wink:

Adam

3 Likes