Thoughts on the Future of Aviation

I wanted to know some your thoughts on the future of aviation considering all of the automation/artificial intelligence and drone technology thats been rapidly advancing in the past decade. Do any of you see Airline pilots losing their jobs from automation/AI in the near future? Ive seen a lot of articles regarding this topic.

1 Like

Hunter,

Boeing can’t even keep airplanes in the air with two pilots and trains, which operate in one dimension are not yet automated. When either of those two issues are resolved, I will start to worry about this. But for now, the technology is nowhere near where it needs to be to automate air travel. Would you get in an airplane that did not actually have pilots flying it?

Chris

Hunter,

Eventually? Sure. Near future? When you start self driving cars as common place then we can talk but until then no.

Adam

Hi, not a pilot…yet (getting my student soon), but to partially answer your question. When I asked my mentor about completely automated aircraft, he said that even though there is the tech to do it, airlines would have to get rid of their current aircraft (an EXTREMELY expensive process) and the process of getting everything “right” on the automatic aircraft would be a very long process to do so and if the airlines did start buying them there would be very few manufacturers for them not to mention lack of resources to build them. Before they are in common use it could take many years, we estimated up to 65-75 years before they are in common use.
Hope this helps.

Gabriel,

Those are pretty fair points there.

Chris