Future of the Airline Industry in regards to AI?

Hi all,
I am currently a high school student who aspires to become an airline pilot in the near future, with the end goal being a captain for a major or LCC airline. However, the reason for this post is because for my AP CSP class, I was tasked for a final project in which I could research technological innovations, and because of my overlapping interests, I picked the connection between AI and the airline industry. Is there any pilot on this forum who is willing to offer their opinion of if/when AI would be incorporated, replacing pilots, and what would need to be accomplished in order to do so if they believe that it will happen?

Dylan,

This topic comes up from time to time and there are many threads on the subject if you do a search. The short answer is I, and most people, don’t see this happening anytime soon for a number of reasons.

First the technology simply isn’t here and even if it was implementation would take a a great deal of time. Case in point the first plane with autoland debuted in the 60’s, almost 60 years ago. Today there are still many airplanes that don’t have it and even those that do only use it occasionally, as the parameters required are very narrow.

The other major issue is public perception. People want to see a human sitting up front. It gives them the warm fuzzies. There’s obviously more but again I suggest you a look at some of the other threads. Bottomline, pilots will have jobs for a while.

Adam

Dylan,

See a previous post about this subject: New Airbus Autonomous Pilot Technology

Tory