Time for school at ATP

Im a conductor for BNSF and am chasing work all over the US, as I’m still very junior in my seniority. I’m trying to wrap my head around being able to work to provide for my pregnant wife and going to flight school.

Can anyone help me get a better grasp of how schooling would go. Is it in my own time and in person, how much is it, how long would it be? Also I see you need 1500 hours of flight time and people suggest becoming an instructor. But a that on your own dime as well or is a job you obtain?

Alejandro,

Successful flight training is dependant on consistency. This is the reason the airlines, the military AND ATP all train their pilots full-time.

ATPs Airline Career Pilot program requires a 100% commitment to be successful and you would not be able to work, not even part-time. Most students take out loans to not only cover the cost of training, but their living expenses as well.

The most common route most people take to build their time is flight instructing. Do well in the program and you’ll be offered a paid position, or you’re free to secure your own job elsewhere.

I suggest you spend some time on the ATP website for more info.

Adam

Is ATP the major school for this career path?

There are others but ATP is the top (this is also ATPs forum). I encourage you to do your research but the reality is this. You can find a local flight school where you can train part-time but the majority of people who try get frustrated, waste too much time and money and eventually quit.

ATP has been training pilots for the airlines for 40yrs, has had over 25,000 pilots hired by the airlines (over 1,100 in the last 12mos) and has direct pathways to put you in the right seat of an Airbus or Boeing, bypassing the
Regionals.

Adam

1 Like

Alejandro,

ATP’s got you covered with a typical day and training:

I like to say that it takes maturity, self-discipline and a drive to want to complete training, and be successful. No matter where you end up doing your flight training, you have to have a will to be successful and complete the certificates.

What makes you want to become a pilot, more specifically an airline pilot?

Brady

I understand, and I am willing to put in the work for something like this. I just don’t want to dive in head first without knowing there’s water.

I fell in love with operating heavy equipment when I was working in construction before the railroad. I always thought I was able to understand how to operate the machinery at a high level, but when I heard that the only compaction testing company in the town had told the land developer that I was the best backfiller in town. I knew I had to pursue something different. Now with the railroad, I have trained to operate locomotives. And understanding more of how this piece of equipment works. I get more and more intrigued about operating an airplane. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it.

Alejandro,

You don’t mention any flight experience? Dreaming and pondering are great but until you’ve been up in a small training airplane you won’t know for certain. I suggest you take an intro flight or lesson to see what you’re really thinking about getting into.

Adam

Alejandro,

You won’t be able to work full time while pursuing a program like ATP. It is a highly accelerated airline career program. If you make it through the program, there’s a high likelihood you will be able to make it through initial new hire training at any airline at the completion of 1500 hours. If you can’t, then at least you know early on.

Most people take out a loan for flight training. Since you would lose your income, you can supplement living expenses by requesting an additional $2000/month while you’re in the program. If you require more to provide for your wife, you may need to dip in to some of your savings until you graduate and can make an income flying.

First things first though, like Adam recommended go fly first! Take an intro flight or two at your local FBO and really think this through!

Hannah

I didn’t know that was an option. But something that definitely helps with my process. I appreciate the insight!

To everyone answering, I am completely new to this and am certainly considering this new adventure. So far it all seems very do-able

Thanks Adam, that’s also a great insight, would this be attainable through a pre approval with ATP?

It would be but frankly I wouldn’t even go that far. I’d swing by your local mom and pop and go up. Chances are you’ll love it but it’s possible you won’t. I never understand people going through the process without ever going up at least once.

Adam

Alejandro,

I would recommend taking a few introductory flights as well, to ensure this is something you want to do. It never hurts to also book one with ATP as you should, even before the pre-approval process, yes $195 may be tough to come by out-of-pocket, but all flights with a CFI are logable and count towards your 1,500. So if you feel the need of 5 introductory flights before you feel confident in the decision, well those 5 flights count towards your minimum required flight hours to be an applicant for the Airline Transport Pilot certificate.

Brady