To make it to the major Airlines do you need a degree?

I have been thinking on going to ATP and start my career as a pilot. My question is I have herd that most major airlines prefer at least a bachelors degree. I have n college credits as I went to work with my family, I now want to change careers to something that I know that I will enjoy. I have wanted to fly sense I was a kid, I just got caught up trying to help my family with their business. I do know that ATP is a big commitment and I am willing to commitment to it to start a career I will enjoy. I have tried to go to a FBO near me to get into training, it was just to much out of pocket, I have 12hrs logged in, I do know that I would be starting from zero again. My main goal is to provide for my family and I do know it will be tough for a while to start training at ATP. I would like some feed back on any options any opinions on starting this new career. Happy Flying!!! hope to hear back.
Thank you

For just about every major airline in the US they want at least a bachelors degree. It doesn’t have to be related to aviation so I’d recommend doing it in something you enjoy and can use as a backup in case flying doesn’t work out as a career. For example, I’m starting ATP with an associates in criminal justice and plan on continuing my education to get a bachelors in criminal justice after training and once I have a schedule that allows me to go to school.

Zach,

This question comes up weekly, if not daily. The Majors want a degree, end of story. You’re not currently a pilot or in the industry and you’ve even HEARD that. When you fill out an application it’s on there “Do you have a 4yr degree?”. If you answer no then you go in the “other” pile. If there’s only one slot and it’s between you and someone else and they have a degree they’re getting the nod (unless you have something like Congressional Medal of Honor on your resume). Now If you want to I invest $80K and MANY years of your life and then cross your fingers in the hopes that you’re one of the rare few percent that somehow get hired without then by all means it’s your life.

Adam

Zach,

Thing is, the only major that requires a degree is Delta, but most pilots have degrees anyway because all majors used to require degrees. So, let’s say you were applying for a major and the airline had to decide between two applicants. Both have the same experience except one applicant has a degree. The airline will hire the applicant with a degree. If neither applicant has a degree, the airline will hire the applicant with the most experience. So, if you choose to become an airline pilot without a degree your application will continue to get placed at the bottom of the pile until your experience outweighs the other applicants. If I were you, I would get a degree.

Tory

Thank you for the response I would like to get a degree in something, do they require it to be with in the aviation industry? My plan was to get going on ATP and then get my HR’s in and then go to school. Not sure what route would be best. I appreciate the answer to my question. I think almost everyone’s goal is to make it to the major airlines flying the airbuses, 777 I am just trying to figure out my best route. Thank you

Thank you just seen that response and I asked someone else if it had to be related. Thank you