Training question

Hey guys,

I’ve been planning on going to ATP with my PPL as soon as I’m finished with it. I was working on my PPL and took about an 8 month break from it because we had some unfortunate personal events in my family and financially I had to step away for a while. I had about 29 hours before taking the break. I reached out to my instructor in the beginning of November, told him I still had the same goals of going to ATP and that I’d like to be finished by February at the latest. He thought that was doable and that his availability would work for that.

It’s gone very differently and my instructor down here has way too many students this time around. I fly with him maybe once every 10 days or so (opposed to 3-4 times a week before). I will build hours extremely slowly at that rate, and on top of that its hardly frequent enough to even really improve. I have about 38 hours right now, but because of the break I took, feel like I still need a decent amount more training.

Its a long story but I am already paying rent in Charlotte as of November. Long story short it worked out for me better to pay for a couple months that I knew I wouldn’t be there, but believing I’d be there by Feb some time. At this rate though, it seems it will be forever to finish with this guy.

Which brings me to my main question, I am thinking of switching instructors and still doing my PPL independently from ATP. This is the cheaper option, and I still would Imagine to finish this PPL + ATP in as short of a time as the 9month program offered by ATP…
However I’m also thinking of just enrolling in ATPs 9 month program and just calling my 39 hours a head start comfortability and knowledge wise. However, it won’t be any faster than changing instructors here I don’t imagine. And the biggest thing is that it costs about 10,000$ more than finishing here would. The big pro though is the peace of mind that I will be at a place with ample resources to ACTUALLY be on my way to being a pilot. And added months doing things the “ATP way” versus coming into the 6 month program with different familiarities.

Long post, I apologize. But any thoughts??
Thank you!

Wesley,

I think your question answers itself. To get credit for you PPL with ATP you also need a min of 78hrs. At the pace you’re going that’s going to take you some time and it’s definitely not going to be as cheap as you think. Airline pilots can earn over $350k a year BUT have a finite number of years they can work. That means every month you delay costs you approx $29,000 in potential income (not to mention retirement and seniority).

By your own admission you’ve been trying to complete your PPL for some time and it simple isn’t working. While the hours you’ve built don’t expire most of what you learned and the progress you made does.

Your call but I’d cut and run. Not only will you stop throwing good money away but I assume there’s a reason you’ve decided to do your training with ATP? Hopefully it’s because of their reputation for quality training and helping people to reach their goal of an airline career. If that’s true why not do the bulk of your training (including once arguably most important the fundamentals) with that school?

Adam

Adam, your response definitely makes some very good points. I do like the idea of having my training there, so that way I’m not thrown into a 6 month program a little less familiar with things than I would have been had I been there the 3 previous months.

I certainly think I am done with the instructor I am using at the time. But my question more pertains to the possibility of A) do I find another ppl instructor here and finish with him? The pros to that is that HOPEFULLY assuming I can fly 3 times a week or so for 2 hours, I would be finished sooner than the 3 months ATP gives and saves me money that way. And also I got the 10,000$ number using 40 hours I have remaining to get to 78, at 175$ an hour versus 17k difference between the 6 and 9 mo. programs at ATP. Which I’m hoping is roughly about as many hours that I need until I am prepared for my check ride. That is hard to gauge though, with the break I took.

or B) do I spend extra money to go to ATP? I love the fact that I can rely on them, as you mentioned. That peace of mind that I’m not potentially throwing away money means a good bit. And I like the consistency of doing all my training in one place.

I certainly agree with you on a lot. I just feel I may not have conveyed that I would be looking for a new instructor here if I do not go straight to ATP.

Another big question I have is: I know I don’t necessarily get “credit” if I just come in with 38 hours… but would my bit of knowledge and experience allow me to possibly complete my PPL checkride at ATP in more like 2 months, thus saving me some money? Or is that timeline pretty rigid?

Thanks for the input as always.

Wesley,

ATP has 2 program choices with your PPL or without. If you enroll in the program without you will receive the full training. Obviously having some previous hours and knowledge might help you progress quicker but no you won’t be shaving any significant time off the program.

I did understand you were seeking another new instructor but new doesn’t necessarily mean better or the problems you’ve had will disappear.

As always your call.

Adam

You are right about that. And I do like that I know what I’m getting with ATP.
I think I will look into getting the enrollment process started.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Wesley

Wesley,

How much do you value peace of mind? If peace of mind is more important than risking being in the same situation as you’re in now, I would start over and go with ATP. We can all see that continuing your PPL outside of ATP could save you money. However, I get the feeling that this is more of an emotional rather than financial decision for you.

Tory

Thanks for the feedback Tory.
I’m now looking Into getting started with ATP in January/February. I’ve been leaning heavily towards the 9 month program for a while now. I feel certain about it now after hearing from you guys.

1 Like