Trying to pick a location

After noticing that ATP has tons of locations to train from, I am having a hard time deciding where I want to train at. My top choice is Salt Lake City, mostly because I really like the area and would love to live there for awhile (during training phase and maybe CFI phase). Aside from some locations only offering the 40 multi program, can you expect the same kind of training and experiences across the locations? Are some better than others? Any one on here trained at salt lake and would like to share their experience?

Anthony,

One of the things that I think ATP really excels at is standardization amongst their instructors and locations. All instructors go through the exact same standardization program so your experience with the instructors should be the same no matter where you attend.

The weather can of course vary from location to location, but the company wouldn’t put a location in a place that was not conducive to flight training.

I say pick a location that works for you and go for it. If Salt Lake is where you want to go then bite the bullet and go there. SLC has always been one of my personal favorites.

Chris

Anthony,

I second Chris here. That’s one of ATPs key factors is the training is standardized throughout. Pick what you like or what’s convenient.

Adam

What about choosing location with better weather? Closest location to me is Trenton but Arizona or Florida may have better weather, thus finishing faster possibly? Or should weather not be a big factor when choosing location?

Jesse

I’m from the Midwest and knowing how the weather is here I wanted to get away. Summers are beautiful but the winters are very rough for flying. I chose Florida because 1. It’s Florida, 2. If I’m paying the same amount no matter where I go, might as well go somewhere that I enjoy? And 3. The weather is beautiful! I’d say pick the location that works the best for you, or the place you want to go the most.

Being from indiana, I don’t know the weather out west too well.i just really like Utah and since it’s the same price everywhere, I figured why not go somewhere I like. But I guess winter wouldn’t be good.and I would be starting late fall. Phoenix is really hot, but it’s my second choice.

Jesse,

Weather is a factor no matter where you go. Florida has storms, the northeast has snow, Vegas is hot. I would just pick the location that is most convenient for you.

Chris

1 Like

Jesse,

As Chris said weather comes into play pretty much everywhere. I know everyone LOVES PHX for training but I have to say I’m a fan of ACTUAL IFR experience vs the hood. While the hood is a great training aid it simply is not the same as actually flying with no visibility. I’m a firm believer in getting as much experience as possible in as varied conditions as possible. I trained in VA. We encountered IFR, T-storms and even icing. While it was a unsettling it made me a better pilot. The question is do you want easy or do you want to be the best pilot you can be?

Adam

2 Likes