University and/or flight school

I’m 14 and I’m entering high school soon. My question is if I should go to a university with an aviation program or go to flight school after I get out of a university, getting another major. I was considering Auburn University, I would also like to know if that’s a good choice. If not can you give me some good choices.

Nathan,

College is a very important decision and it’s a decision that should be made by you and your parents (so I won’t comment on the merits of one school vs another). That said know this, you do not need an aviation degree to be a pilot but you do need an accounting degree to be an accountant. What I’m saying is while the Major airlines do desire a 4yr degree they really don’t care what you study BUT if you get an aviation degree you’re really putting all your eggs in one basket. If you should change your mind, suffer a medical issue or something else comes up that curtails your aviation career it’s ALWAYS a good idea to have a Plan B.

Adam

Nathan,

I recommend going to a school that has a non aviation program and getting your degree in something, anything really, other than aviation. That way you have a backup plan if aviation fails to work out for some reason.

Auburn is a great school, but really any college that is accredited and reputable will do.

Chris

Ok thank you @Adam and @Chris . I will consider it.