University or College? 4 Years or 2 Years?

Hello everyone, I’m Hanning and currently located in Canada.
I’m 17 and graduating high school in 2months and had already applied for both universities and colleges which one is 4YRS and the other is 2YRS with the exact same flight training scheme.
The difference is the education parts. At university, I would obtain a geography DEGREE(4yrs). And at college, it’s arts and science DIPLOMA(2yrs).
I don’t have a financial problem and my final goal is to fly for major airlines in Canada(like Air Canada) or around the world. But I’m worried about the best time to join the industry and start flying which is hard to predict.

1. Would it hurt my future career if I choose 2 years program graduated with a college DIPLOMA and have extra 2 years building flight hours instead of going to the university and graduated with a 4yrs DEGREE but start gaining hours 2years later?

2. If I go to university, would I be far behind other people who started 2 years ahead or miss the best time to join the industry?

Btw, graduated from these two programs would meet most requirements in terms of CPL, IATRA, conditional ATPL(effect at 1500hrs),etc…

I’m thankful for having you guys help me, truly appreciated!

Hanning,

We’re a US based forum and our knowledge is of US airlines. Here the answer is simple. You will eventually need a 4yr degree to fly for a Major and you also need to be 21 to obtain an R-ATP. So regardless even if you obtained the licenses, ratings etc. you still couldn’t fly for any US airline in 2 yrs. That said I have no idea the situation in Canada. I suggest you either contact the airlines or simply ask the school you plan to attend.

Adam

Thank you for your info Adam! I will contact them and figure it out!!!

Sorry Adam, just wondering If I go to university, would I be far behind other people who started 2 years ahead or miss the best time to join the industry?

Hanning,

Not at all. Like I said at your age you couldn’t fly for a US airline till 21 anyway so you might as well finish your education. I’m assuming it’s similar up North.

Adam

Thank you Adam!!!