University

I’m looking on information about if I would need a degree to become a pilot at the majors. I currently have around 60 credits at a 4 year university but I’m planning on stopping that and pursuing ATP. What would y’all recommend?

If you drop out of college, student loans will come knocking in 6 months regardless. You will not be able to refinance your college debt or get on an IDR plan without a degree, and double check this, but i read on here that ATP doesnt qualify as a “school” for the purpose of loan payment deferment while youre back in school

Gavin,

We recommend completing the degree before starting ATP because it can be very difficult for some to come back and pick up where they left off. I’m not sure if you’d still qualify for the college credit for pilot certificates given 60 credits already, but that is something you could check into.

Roman, yes there is a 6-month grace period for student loans; HOWEVER, you can get up to 5 years of deferment for hardship forbearance. This is actually how I tackled the start of ATP; it helped me allocate more finances towards living expenses and even putting some extra on the principal of my ATP loan.

Brady

Gavin,

This is one of our Top 3 FAQs. While no Major requires a degree, they ALL prefer one and most list a 4yr degree as a “competitive” requirement.

We recommend you finish school first.

Adam