V1 Rotate!

A friend videoed us pushing back in OGG. Yes I do taxi that fast!!! :wink:

Adam

3 Likes

Can the 717 powerback?

Can it? Sure. Is it legal? Nooooo! (Hence the tug)

Adam

Interesting. I saw a Northwest DC-9 do it once, it was interesting to watch. It kicked up a huge amount of dirt and debris.

1 Like

One of the MANY reasons itā€™s frowned upon. That and no rear view mirrors or backup cam! :wink:

Adam

Vroom vroom. :flight_departure:

I do drive a Mazda soooooā€¦

Adam

But the Mazda goes - Mmmmmmm. Damn, Iā€™m old - lol

Actually itā€™sā€¦

Adam

That is quite true for you youngsters, but In 1973 the ad campaign jingle was ā€œPistons go Boing-Boing-Boing but the Mazda Rotary goes Hmmmmmm.

Oh I remember BUT since my engine ainā€™t no Wankel, it still goes ā€œboingā€! :wink:

Adam

Itā€™s interesting you mentioned thatā€¦ I still vividly recall the only powerback I have ever observed circa 1995. It was a NWA DC-9 in DTW. Wild to watch!

Another one you can find is Air Florida Flt 90, a somewhat famous crash. They powered back in a snow storm because their tug was slipping. As they powered back they sprayed snow and sleet over their fuselage incl the pitot/static probes which then froze over. They received erroneous EPRs on the takeoff roll and never actually achieved t/o thrust or speed and subsequently hit a bridge and sank into the Potomac.

Reason #19 we donā€™t powerback.

Adam

1 Like

I do as wellā€¦. Which one? Iā€™ve got a CX-5 right now. Pretty decent airport car.

Hannah

Iā€™ve got an MX-5. Now before everyone piles on let me say a) Iā€™m secure in my masculinity and b) of ALL the cars Iā€™ve owned (and there have been many) this is my favorite so flame on!

Adam

Good for you! Miatas are pretty fun little cars, my high school girlfriend had one. We have a CX-5 now, the best car Iā€™ve ever owned, ZOOM-ZOOM!

It does bring up a question Iā€™ve wanted to ask: weā€™ve covered sunglasses, watches, and iPads in depth, but what is an airline pilotā€™s car? The typical image is a Corvette, but thatā€™s a fighter pilotā€™s car. I would think maybe a minivan, since it carries lots of people, or a large sedan, since it is a good people carrier and keeps passengers separated from their luggage. Pickups are for cargo pilots I suppose, so what do airline pilots drive?

Jake,

You will literally see pilots driving EVERYTHING from Bentleys and Benzs to beaters that barely pass inspection. The question is are we talking their commuter car or the off duty car and most pilots I know (particularly with family) have both.

In my experience most have a commuter beater to go to/from work and something else for the spouse, family, weekend, etc. The story usually is the get their first good airline gig, go out and buy something new and shiny, get back from a 4 day and find it dinged or worse and then pick up a beater for the airport. Iā€™m fortunate as we have a pilot only lot and most of the pilots are pretty respectful and thereā€™s a guard so you see nicer cars in this lot. I still have a truck (sold my Tacoma for a hybrid Maverick) but I wanted something fun to drive in the am to work. I used to take my motorcycle (another popular option here in Hawaii) but it was really to dangerous in traffic so I got the MX-5. I drop the roof and itā€™s close :wink:

Adam

Hey Adam,

I was mostly trying to bust chops with the minivan comment :wink: but you make some really good points. Howā€™s the Maverick hybrid? Iā€™d like to get one of those when I save up. I just got a Fusion hybrid this week to save on commuting costs.

Jake I frigginā€™ love my Maverick! Very capable, does everything I want/need and Iā€™ve been averaging 48mpg. Get a ton of compliments and it has ridiculously comfy seats.

Adam

1 Like

I personally drive a Suburban. I have four kids, so a large car is necessary. Even if I did not have kids, I would drive a Suburban. The low gas mileage (19 MPG) is cheap insurance if you get into an accident. I love being surrounded by metal that can help absorb any impact before it gets to me.