Want to chase my dreams BUT will my background stop me?

First off, to the mentors thank you for the wealth of knowledge you provide to all of us on this site and for the timely responses to the stream of emails you receive every day. I have read many similar threads on this topic but wanted to ask this question specific to my circumstance. So I have completed my admissions flight, absolutely loved the experience, location and staff and received my acceptance letter the other day. I currently have my first class medical in hand and I am fully prepared to take the plunge and to self-fund my course with ATP. All of that aside, something that weighs heavily on my mind are a few things that occurred 18+ years ago that I feel will keep me from achieving my dreams.

I have had a clean record across the board over the last 18 years (it would be about 20 yrs with completion of flight school)…however in the early 2000’s I show a speeding ticket in excess of 85mph and as a separate incident, I received a charge for DUI which was a low level charge (not extreme) for which I paid fines and received a 30 day license suspension. I certainly make no excuses for these infractions, I own both of these mistakes and have never - and will never repeat them.

However, one other charge on my record appears as a “simple assault” (misdemeanor) and, without going into a long story, was an absurd charge which was dismissed by the judge with the case showing “disposed” but regardless it still lingers on my record. I know in such a highly regulated industry even the sight of a charge like that may disqualify me at the regionals, especially with two other dings on my record. My record since then has been “squeaky” as you put it. I know you’ve said “if you are upfront and put enough time in between the infraction and now than you should be ok” but with my situation am I out of luck?

To the mentors, I would take your word and recommendation to heart and if you think there would be no shot at the regionals I wouldn’t commit my time and money to flight school. If you can advise otherwise I would love to hear it. I am certainly holding on to hope here. Thanks again for all of your guidance, I read the feedback on all emails daily and your insight has been extremely helpful in this process.

Garrett,

20yrs is a considerable amount of time and if you have in fact been squeaky clean then you should be fine.

I do have a question however. You say you have your First Class medical. Did you report the DUI on your application? If not that’s something that could absolutely bite you in the future.

Adam

Adam,
Yes, I was upfront with the DUI on my First Class Medical and discussed it with the AME as well. I will not hide anything nor lie about anything on an oral as #1) that is not the person I am and #2) I know that it will come up at some point!
Thank you for the response.

Do speeding tickets matter I had two tickets in the past

Meshaal,

Everything matters. Comes down to how you portray yourself and your actions when being interviewed. Putting more time between your last offense always helps too.

Tory

Garrett,

While I think you will be fine, I will say what I always do and recommend that you contact the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them, just to be on the safe side.

I do agree that twenty years is a long time and I think you will be okay. Just make sure that your record stays perfectly clean moving forward, not even speeding tickets.

Chris