What are things I can do to strengthen my chances of getting into ATP?

Hey everyone, I’ve wondering about things I can do to strengthen my chances of getting into ATP. I know getting a bachelors degree, getting a PPL license, and being in the Civil Air Patrol will help, but what else? Will getting a Firefighters I license or being in the military help? If not, what are other things I can do to help my chances?

Dillon,

The program is very accelerated and therefore challenging. ATP wants some indication that you can commit and be successful. This is why the admission requirements are clear that they want you to have your PPL, at LEAST 2yrs CONSISTENT work or military experience or a degree. Simply getting a license in some other area won’t really help.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response Adam, it’s good to know what I need to do.

Dillon

Dillon,

Other than having a “well dressed” resume applying to ATP, I think they also look for good people, with good intentions. In fact, looking up the eligibility requirements to hold an ATP certificate, it states in paragraph c; “be of good moral character.” Nothing in the aviation industry is guaranteed, but that is why with every risk, comes a reward. I recommend the only way to know whether you’ll be accepted to ATP, is by applying and conducting the prerequisites.

Brady

1 Like

Dillon,

Yes, military service will help, but I would not do that for the sole purpose of getting into ATP. Have you spoken with the admissions department and seen where you stand with them?

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

I have not spoken to the admissions department yet, I will do that in a little bit though.

Dillon

Brady,

Thank you for your input, is there anything I can do to show I have a “good moral character?”

Dillon

Dillon,

The best thing you can do is make sure you meet the program prerequisites. A bachelors degree is absolutely proffered but either the consistent work experience or military time is valuable too. If you apply and get denied, thats when going and getting a PPL on your own and reapplying could help.

Hannah

1 Like

This is what I am planning to do. I got my email today denying my acceptance to ATP, but they encouraged me to get my PPL and to reapply.
Travel nurse here for 4yrs+ wanting to make a big career change! Any more recommendations you may have?

Betzalel,

Yes, listen to their recommendation and get your PPL.

Adam

Betzalel,

I would absolutely follow their recommendation and get your PPL first, you really do not have any other choice if you still intend on going to ATP. When obtaining your PPL, try to be in the same place for all of it, switch schools as you travel for your job will make it almost impossible to get your PPL.

Chris

Betzalel,

If ATP is recommending obtaining the PPL first, I would suggest following their recommendation. However, if you’re deciding to continue the travel nursing while learning to fly, this will make it EXTREMELY difficult (not impossible), but you will experience delays, setbacks, and a long-term training path. Like Chris mention, try to find a set schedule that you could put two months towards the PPL and it can be done.

Brady

I’m in the same boat. I was rejected and encouraged to reapply after getting my PPL. I was accepted into Aeroguard but I’ve done a tremendous amount of research and I just feel like ATP is a better fit for me. I’ve got my first PPL lesson next week and my work schedule allows me to train 3-4 days/week. I’ve been a full-time firefighter/paramedic for almost 9 years and cashing out my PTO and pension will pay for all of my living expenses and ATP tuition so I’m fortunate in that regard. I was encouraged by you in particular Adam when I read that you started training in your late 30’s, as I turn 38 later this year.

Well I was 39 so you got me beat by a year!

Glad if I helped.

Adam

1 Like

Jeffrey,

Great to hear that you are taking the initiative to get started with your PPL. It is nice to see fellow servicemen making the switch, thanks for your service (from a fellow firefighter). Please keep us posted how things go.

Brady

Thanks brother, I appreciate it.

We are!