What exactly is a discovery flight?

So I’ve been on several general aviation aircraft with friends and handled the controls, but I’ve heard that discovery flights are a little different. Could you expound on discovery flights and what they do on them? And would it be worth it if I’ve already been in a plane?

Gabriel,

A discovery, or introductory, flight is a mini flight lesson with a certified instructor. You will fly the airplane, but will have an actual, instructor giving you feedback and telling you what to look for. This is far different than flying with a friend. The flight time will also go into your logbook and start the trek towards 1,500 hours. I would highly recommend taking an actual Introductory Flight, it is also a chance for you to see how well you and the flight school mesh with each other.

https://atpflightschool.com/programs/introductory-training-flight.html

Chris

Thank you Chris, I will do that asap.

My intro flight was as follows:

• A quick chat with a CFI to brief the flight and area
  • Full walkaround/preflight, with the CFI explaining everything.
  • Takeoff, climb out, and transit to the practice area. I was given control from about 400 AGL on climb out, and did basic manuvers (straight-and-level, turns, basic nav). We did a couple steep turns, just to get the feeling of some G forces.
  • Flew back to the airport, and the CFI took over on base for landing.
  • Landed and taxied back to the FBO, went inside and debriefed.

I found that it’s pretty close to the first couple lessons you’ll have at ATP, just shorter (1 hour vs 2).

Bennett,

Thank you for posting your intro flight experience :slight_smile:

Chris

Thank you Bennett

should my intro flight be with my flight school, or will it work if i take a local intro flight?
Gabriel

Gabriel,

An intro flight is really just meant for you to get a taste of flying, so any school should do. That being said, you might as well use it as an opportunity to test out your desired flight school as you will be spending a lot of time and money there.

Chris

Gabriel,

Why not kill 2 birds with one stone? This is an opportunity for you to not only see what this flying stuff is really about AND meet the instructors, see the planes etc. Unless the school you plan on attending is far away and a major inconvenience.

Adam

How old do you have to be to take an introductory flight and what happens after it, what if you just want to take it to see whats its like to fly on a small plane

Delia,

If you’re speaking generically a discovery, intro, etc flight is just that. It’s just what you say, it’s a chance to go up and see what it’s like in a small plane. I don’t believe there’s an age limit but I suspect if you’re young you’ll need your parents consent or they may even need to accompany you?

ATP offers them as an opportunity to not only see what is like but as a chance to meet and greet with the staff and equipment at the school.

Adam

Delia,
If you’re looking to take an intro flight at ATP, I believe you have to be 18 since that’s the minimum age allowable to start the program. But please reach out to admissions to check. If so, there are plenty of places for cheap discovery flights without an age restrictions that a parent or guardian could sign for.

-Hannah

Thank you!

Thank you Hannah!

Delia,

You can take a discovery flight at any age, but in my personal opinion, I would wait until nearing 17 as one cannot get the private license until they are 18 anyways.

Chris